• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade Time!

For what it's worth, I had to switch to Verizon a few months ago due to poor signal on Sprint at our new house. I am using the Motorola Droid X, which has a locked Bootloader. It is rootable, modable, and there are roms, (but all are based on the stock rom). But really, the processor is fast enough, there is lots of internal memory and the recently released OTA GB is very nice. Can still overclock and undervolt. However, many previous Rooters are very happy with the phone as it is stock GB. On the Hero, it is almost a requirement to root to make it usable these days. The newer phones, locked bootloader and all, start off with so much better specs that the urgency to root is not as great.

The locked bootloader does limit your options some, but many may not feel the need to.

BTW, I wouldn't count on the bootloader being unlocked via OTA any time soon. Just my opinion, however. ;)

Yeah. My sister has a Verizon Motorola Droid X and she seems to be content with it. Indeed, it is rootable and you can flash custom ROMs. I believe the only thing that cannot be changed is the kernel. I have messed around with it and it is a nice handset. The Android 2.3 updates makes it snappier too.

I am hoping that HTC follows through with its promise regarding the bootloader on the Sprint HTC EVO 3D. I may just wait until that promise has been fulfilled.

Upvote 0
It will happen -
Already have a leaked Phone - with complete system dump on xda.....
Possible day 1 root......
waited a few months (from when i learned about rooting) with my hero.....
Will root day 1 if its available.......on my new evo3d.....
HeroC aospcmmod with .35 s0be kernel will be a kick ass mp3 player...

Yeah, I have faith that HTC will follow through. It is not like they are taking forever to change their bootloader policy like Motorola is. :)

My Sprint HTC Hero will probably go to my wife since she wants to get into the Android scene. It will also keep me around this subforum. ;)

Upvote 0
Haha, there were a bunch of us picked MCat...;)

Wait... I thought it was for users who were being BANNED, not promoted :eek::eek::(:(:mad:

Yep, but we can do what we want, they have to set examples, LOL Woohah, lol I am with you Bro, I got your back, if anyone should have been promoted is you as you taught me ;)

Lol, don't worry, I've got their back! :p

My Sprint HTC Hero will probably go to my wife since she wants to get into the Android scene. It will also keep me around this subforum. ;)

[shameless plug] If you decide she should have an Epic or Evo, let me know as I'm selling both! [/shameless plug]

Upvote 0
[shameless plug] If you decide she should have an Epic or Evo, let me know as I'm selling both! [/shameless plug]

How much would you be asking for each handset? My wife may want something a bit more modern than the Sprint HTC Hero.

If you want, you can Private Message me your asking prices on both handsets. Thank you, Kelmar.

Upvote 0
I have read at a few other forums that if you call up Sprint and ask to upgrade all of your lines, some representatives will let you even if you lost your upgrade due to their Sprint Premier shuffling. I might try this and see if I can get my wife a Sprint HTC EVO 3D as well.

I believe you would get it at the upgrade price of $200.00. That would be sweet.

Upvote 0
I believe that to be true, because when I went to sign up my name for the 3D they said even though my wife's line was not due they could upgrade her also if I wanted. ;)

I have read at a few other forums that if you call up Sprint and ask to upgrade all of your lines, some representatives will let you even if you lost your upgrade due to their Sprint Premier shuffling. I might try this and see if I can get my wife a Sprint HTC EVO 3D as well.

I believe you would get it at the upgrade price of $200.00. That would be sweet.

Upvote 0
I believe that to be true, because when I went to sign up my name for the 3D they said even though my wife's line was not due they could upgrade her also if I wanted. ;)

If I can get away with that, you may be seeing me in the Sprint HTC EVO 3D subforum sooner than you think. We shall see though. ;)

I showed my wife a bunch of different Android smartphones offered by Sprint today and asked her which one interested her. She said she liked the Sprint HTC EVO 4G. Maybe I can convince her getting the new hotness, Sprint HTC EVO 3D, will be a better choice. Especially if she wants to future proof her handset. :D

Upvote 0
You needed to make sure your contacts were stored on Gmail rather than the phone, you can restore your old Rom, save your contact list as a CSV file, then save it on your SD card, then restore your new rom, and restore your contacts, but keep in mind it is much better to save all your phone contacts to Gmail.

Hey so i flashed the ROM and i gotta say thank you for the tip! This ROM is extremely fast compared to my Fresh hero 2.40 ROM, But my only problem is I don't have any contacts /: I tried restoring them with HTC sync but the option for that in the notification bar does not show up so any help would be very very much appreciated.

y8 | ben10 | miniclip |friv | pogo

Upvote 0
Glad I saw this post over at the EVO 3D section, I decided to call Sprint and told them I am a Premier customer and can I order my EVO 3d now, and they said yes, they also said I may get a headache and nausea from the screen at the beginning, LOL so it is ordered and on its way, should have it on Thursday, Yah baby, my review will follow shortly after.

Release date: 6/24 nationwide; 6/21 for SP members.

Upvote 0
Glad I saw this post over at the EVO 3D section, I decided to call Sprint and told them I am a Premier customer and can I order my EVO 3d now, and they said yes, they also said I may get a headache and nausea from the screen at the beginning, LOL so it is ordered and on its way, should have it on Thursday, Yah baby, my review will follow shortly after.

Release date: 6/24 nationwide; 6/21 for SP members.

Are they sending it to your house? I was under the impression I had to go to the Sprint store and preorder it there as well as pick it up there.

I am waiting to see what the prices of the Sprint HTC EVO 4G and Sprint HTC EVO Shift 4G will be lowered to before I get my Sprint HTC EVO 3D. My wife is interested in those two handsets as potential replacements for her Sprint Palm Pre.

Upvote 0
Yes they are shipping it to my front door, I got the confirmation already by email, they said Premier customers can order online, waived 18 activation charge and free 2 day shipping

Are they sending it to your house? I was under the impression I had to go to the Sprint store and preorder it there as well as pick it up there.

I am waiting to see what the prices of the Sprint HTC EVO 4G and Sprint HTC EVO Shift 4G will be lowered to before I get my Sprint HTC EVO 3D. My wife is interested in those two handsets as potential replacements for her Sprint Palm Pre.

Upvote 0
I just got my tracking number and instead of getting my phone Thursday I am getting it today, it is out for delivery today, Yah baby ;)

I hope you enjoy it, man. I can tell that you are really excited for it and that is cool. :)

So, what will you do with your Sprint HTC Hero after it is officially retired? I think I will continue to use mine as a personal media player, and I will, of course, still continue to mess with custom ROMs on it. I want to see if it will get Ice Cream Sandwich. Haha. :D

Upvote 0
I will give it to the wife to use for MP3 and Wi Fi, and mine is sitting at home as I type, wife just called me and said UPS delivered it

I hope you enjoy it, man. I can tell that you are really excited for it and that is cool. :)

So, what will you do with your Sprint HTC Hero after it is officially retired? I think I will continue to use mine as a personal media player, and I will, of course, still continue to mess with custom ROMs on it. I want to see if it will get Ice Cream Sandwich. Haha. :D

Upvote 0
Here you go Cat something for you to look forward to on the long road of waiting until Friday :p :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• EVO 3D.jpg
    EVO 3D.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones