• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrade to 4.4.2 is killing my battery

tommy1005

Aug 27, 2010
I just upgraded to 4.4.2 and typically my phone would have about 90%+ battery life around noon everyday, (I would unplug it at 7:30 am) and now since I've upgraded, everyday around noon I'm around 75%

No idea what's going on... Is there anyway to debug this and try and find out the problem?

I just upgraded to 4.4.2 and typically my phone would have about 90%+ battery life around noon everyday, (I would unplug it at 7:30 am) and now since I've upgraded, everyday around noon I'm around 75%

No idea what's going on... Is there anyway to debug this and try and find out the problem?

After updating it is always a good idea to re-calibrate your battery as per #1.4 of the Update Problems - Dummies Guide. See if that helps. If not, move on to #1.2 and #1.3.

Upvote 0
My GS4 surprised me with an unexpected update at 2:15AM Monday morning. It circumvented my plan to do a FDR *before* the update. It had d/l the update around noon Sunday and I kept hitting the remind me later button on the nag screen until I could find time to prep for the update. Oh well, it just self-approved the update in the middle of the night. Not too pleased with that.

As it is, I've seen no issues after the update although I suspect my battery usage is higher than before. Ergo, I just wiped the cache partition and will watch to see if that improves anything.

Two things I don't care for with KK 4.4.2:
1) all white notification icons (I miss the green/red arrows for wifi activity)
2) KK moved the clear button in the notification shade to on top of all notifications, not just the temporary notifications where it was prior to the update.

Both are minor nits in the scheme of things. I'll monitor the update for other changes I haven't caught yet. But otherwise, I see no operational difference (including how I use my SD card and transfer files via WiFi to my PC) with KK vs JB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones