Upgrade to Desire? Questions.

Last Updated:

1. gtt

gtt Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, new here so some gentle help would be welcome!

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my MDA Vario III to an HTC Desire.

I'm getting on a bit and a bit stuck in Windows mode, so Android sounds a scary world. My questions are as below:

How easy is it to synch calendar & contacts from MS Outlook Express to Desire (and vice versa)? I'm using Win XP on my PC, if that's significant.

Is there an Excel type app for Android? I have a few spreadsheets I like to keep on my moby, backed up on my PC.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Advertisement
  2. gtt

Oh yes, my other question: I keep reading that you have to have a Google mail account just to get apps from Android. I use Yahoo mail, would it work ok if the Google mail is used just for apps purposes, but my main email address remains Yahoo?

Does the Desire's mail client work ok with Yahoo (Uk account)?

Thanks again.

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Welcome,
    Android is friendly, not scary.
    You can export your outlook contacts as a .Csv file and after creating a googlemail account, import it into gmail, then all contacts will sync with the phone. Calendars can be synced using the free HTC sync program supplied on the SD card in the phone. You can view excell and other office files using the quick office app, or open office etc.

Get one, you won't regret it.

4. CarsnGadgets

Yes you can use your new googlemail account just for apps etc, you can use yahoo, hotmail, or most other email types on the desire.

5. CarsnGadgets

Welcome,
    Android is friendly, not scary.
    You can export your outlook contacts as a .Csv file and after creating a googlemail account, import it into gmail, then all contacts will sync with the phone. Calendars can be synced using the free HTC sync program supplied on the SD card in the phone. You can view excell and other office files using the quick office app, or open office etc.

Get one, you won't regret it.

6. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Well-Known Member

HTC Sync will also sync your Outlook contacts if you don't want to upload them to Google. I didn't find that out until after being infinitely frustrated trying to figure out how to sync without using Google. It pays to read up on things but I just also recently picked up a Desire and I was too busy playing with it to figure that part out.

I used to have the Tilt some time back which I think is just like your MDA Vario III and it's not a scary switch at all. In fact, I think if you were switching the other way around, WM might be the more daunting one.

Using ActiveSync was convenient with WM phones, but HTC Sync relieves a lot of that for me.

7. gtt

Thanks, helpful replies there - and very reassuring.

I'm going to have a "feel" of a Desire in the local t-mob shop next week, providing that goes ok, I'll ring & see what sort of deal t-mob will offer me on upgrade.

8. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I've just got an MDA3 through work, and it is so counter intuitive compared to android. Plus what a brick!

I think it may have to have an 'accidental' drop down 15 storeys ;)

9. gtt

That's a but harsh on the Vatio III! I'll miss that lovely slide-out keyboard, for a start. I won't miss the clunky Windows Mobile or the frequent freezing / reset routine.
    [​IMG]
    It's the freezing & clunking that's driving me away from WM and to Android (that and my "Desire" to be different to the Apple people, and to avoid the premium price of an iPhone.

10. AstroDonut

AstroDonut Well-Known Member

I love this post :D

11. gtt

Right, I've done it. Sorted my upgrade to a Desire today. Sadly T-Mobile "out of stock" - I've got to wait until they get some in!

Curses.