• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade to Google Android Option?

VampLena

Lurker
Jul 31, 2011
USA
So I recieved a Android Tablet for my birthday, and hardware wise, I really like it. It works very well and is responsive, not to mention from the few decent apps I could get (Thank you Amazon Appstore!) it runs like a champ. My problem however is the software, Its amazing to me the system is as it is. Firstly, let me say, I HATE Apple, mostly due to their Facist policies, and draconian control they want over their devices. But honestly, Im not very happy with Android either, but unlike Apple (because of Furher Jobs), Android has the potential to do better easily, if they wanted to. Correct me if Im wrong please, I'd really love to do these things but Why cant I download a upgrade to the newest version of Google Honeycomb or some such? Why must I be stuck with crappy 2.3? I mean really Google, If you allowed upgrading I'd BUY the upgraded firmware if the option was present, my hardware can handle it. Google really should just unify firmware like Apple does so all Android devices run the same software, like this its just frustrating, and turns people off to Android. Why not market access to 'non official google androids"? You dont want my money? I'd happily buy tons of apps from the official market place, fortunately Amazon has come along and they dont discriminate. I was able to easily download their app and purchase stuff, Woe to Google if Amazon ever becomes competitive with the amount of apps in their store, especially with it open to everyone regardless of what they have. Honestly, while I love the hardware, and open source nature of Android, the reality of it is not what I though. I was expecting or hoping perhaps Android would become like the PC to the Mac. That as long as you had the right hardware you could run anything and there would be no discrimination against certain brands/models. This whole situation has turned me off to Android in some way, Im primarily a App user then movie or music, and my options are limited, not to mention I know for a fact my tablet could be running better if I could upgrade it to Honeycomb with all its fixes and enhancements. As much as I hate Apple, this situation makes me want to buy a Ipad in the future just so I dont have headaches with this. I've heard the only why I could ever upgrade my tablet is if I get lucky and find custom firmware and essentially hack the device.. That is just a big headache, and not to mention a big risk.

Android is open source. You need to understand that concept in order for you to understand that Google is not in charge of when any one particular device gets an update. The OS gets taken over by the manufacturer and then the carriers. It is up to THEM not Google.

If you think 2.3 is "crappy", then I suspect your expectations may be too high for 3.0. I don't understand why this is causing you headaches. Is it because you know that there's a newer version and not that your actual user experience is been poor? Remember, there's a LOT of us that are still waiting to get the "upgrade" to 2.3.

It's not that I don't get where you are coming from, but apparently you are new to Android because your arguments have already been hashed out a million times, sorry. I'd like to think that 2 yrs from now Google will have a solution for this and manufacturers and carriers will compromise.

Reactions: Kasereelphas
Upvote 0
My Point is, this is excessively annoying for consumers, PCs all have different hardware and yet there arent 100 versions of windows out there, but rather one standard Windows everyone uses which insures as long as your hardware is up to spec, your machine can run ANY windows program and more over you can upgrade to newer windows versions and arent blocked like with Android. Apple, too apparently, makes their OS run on all levels of their hardware, from the nano to Ipad, its just one uniform OS. That is what I was referring to, Google seems to be just needlessly complicating the entire situation by not just releasing standardized updates that scale to all the hardware. What does it matter if a device isn't google official, why is the end user punished by not having access to every app so long as it can run on their machine? Even if they don't want to do that, why cant they sell firmware upgrades? So people like some of you who want 2.3 could upgrade to it easily.Hell, People would probably pony up cash to buy google apps and marketplace access, which in turn would make Google even more money. Its just needlessly complicated and off putting for new users, which last I checked is exactly what Android needs; more people adapting it.

Upvote 0
The reason that Google doesn't sanction these hunk of junk tablets is that they want no credit/blame for them. If you want true android, get something that Google supports.

That being said, you can go to xdaforums.com, search for your tablet make and model, and see if there are any custom roms available.

Google has not made Honeycomb available under the AOSP yet, and they may never do so. You may be waiting until the next software version, ICS.

Upvote 0
Microsoft doesn't sanction hunk of junk PCs (When there are indeed, also Microsoft Certified PCs ie Dell, Alienware etc), that doesn't mean you cant buy Windows upgrades for them. Alot of the argument doesn't fly, options are good for consumers and google doesn't like to give options it seems. I really want Android to succeed but it wont like this, people, like me will get a android and see online there is a new version available and get annoyed there is no legitimate way to upgrade, in my quest for knowledge as to why I couldn't get google marketplace, i found alot of angry and frustrated people that were upset about this too. Now, you dont need to take Business 101 to know angry and frustrated customers arent going to be coming back. As much as I like the hardware and Android OS, odds are if I buy myself a tablet in the future, it'll probably be a Ipad just to avoid frustration and upgrade headaches, especially considering 'official google' Tablets seem to cost just as much as Ipad, yet you have no promises the vender will officially release upgrades of future versions of Android. As I said, I and most people would buy updates even with a disclaimer I do it at my own risk as Google doesnt support non official tablets. Why dont you want my money google? Every other company on the planet is smart enough to put a disclaimer so they dont get blamed, Google can do the same.

Upvote 0
Android is open source. They can't possibly sell it to you. What that means is any manufacturer or joe shmo can use the software as they like. Google Apps are NOT open source. The manufacturer pays Google for them. In turn, google sanctions the device and provides support to the manufacturer and the user. If you're going to blame anyone for the lack of Honeycomb on your tablet, blame the manufacturer or the lack of research that was done in purchasing this tablet.

Upvote 0
Don't think the upgrade will necessarily be a good thing. Mine automatically upgraded to 2.2 and the phone now crawls, crashes and, in general, unbearably slow. T-Mobile says, too bad, I can go back to 1.6 (having to strip the phone and reload everything including all the apps) or get a new phone. So much for Google - and Android.

Upvote 0
Okay, so the OS itself are open source and google cant legally sell it. Fair enough, but as said Google Apps suite is NOT open source. Why cant they sell that? Its just lame. Yes perhaps the person who bought me my tablet, and other people who buy tablets dont do research on the products, but why should people have to (and most non geeks dont) when the problem is a software one that can easily be fixed with firmware upgrades as evident-ed by that website that has custom firmware downloads? Such a problem shouldn't exist on a open platform, as the title suggests its open and thus software should be freely available. Its stuff like this that make me wonder why Google is so surprised Android isnt anywhere near as popular or widespread as Apple products. Not everyone is a tech head, people want simplicity and no frustration, and it seems Android doesnt address that. Lets not even get started on how they really jump the gun by making official androids just as expensive as Apple, thats something you do once the product has caught on, the way it is now most people will just go Ipad if they have 499$ laying around

Upvote 0
Whatever issue you have with your tablet, you may be able to find solutions in the forum specific to your device. Perhaps the issues you have do not necessarily need a new version of Android to resolve.

I don't have a problem with a competing place for which to buy apps. I certainly like the fact that I can go to multiple places to buy my phone or PC.

Simplicity does not necessarily imply no frustration. Sometimes, things that are too simple causes frustration as well. It just depends on what you want out of your device.

Upvote 0
Firstly, let me say, I HATE Apple, mostly due to their Facist policies, and draconian control they want over their devices
You say that and yet in your posts the very things that you consider to be Android drawbacks are benefits with iOS specifically because of Apple's control over hardware and software. Which do you actually want?

It sounds to me like you read about Apple being "facist/draconian" and you're just parroting what you've read without understanding what you're actually saying. You say you hate them but you want Android to be more like iOS with every point below.

Why not market access to 'non official google androids"?
What are "non official Google Androids"? I don't understand what you're considering to be "official Google Androids". The only Google devices are the Nexus line.

My Point is, this is excessively annoying for consumers, PCs all have different hardware and yet there arent 100 versions of windows out there, but rather one standard Windows everyone uses which insures as long as your hardware is up to spec, your machine can run ANY windows program and more over you can upgrade to newer windows versions and arent blocked like with Android.
PC's are irrelevant. Their OS's are hardware abstracted. Mobile devices aren't quite to the point where this is a practical option due to the overhead. We're probably getting close but, even so, Android has always been intended to only be a platform for OEM's to take and expand upon. See the Android site and read their project philosophy and goals.

Every option in real life (not just smartphone OS's but everything out there) has pros and cons. An option that is nothing but benefits only exists in the imaginations of the ignorant. You're assuming that OHA has malicious intent where it's simply a matter of having certain drawbacks to the selected design philosophy. If you don't agree with the OHA's approach then there are plenty of other mobile OS's for you to consider instead.

Now, you dont need to take Business 101 to know angry and frustrated customers arent going to be coming back.
Neither here nor there really. Android's market share doesn't support your assertion that people are fleeing due to your concerns. I'm not sure why you're convinced as such except for being stuck in your own tunnel vision. Your particular concerns aren't necessarily those of everyone else though you seem to assume so.

Google really should just unify firmware like Apple does so all Android devices run the same software
Apple, too apparently, makes their OS run on all levels of their hardware, from the nano to Ipad, its just one uniform OS.
This is a common misconception. Rather than assume that this is the case, look at the supported devices for iOS4. Not all devices are listed.

Google seems to be just needlessly complicating the entire situation by not just releasing standardized updates that scale to all the hardware.
It seems needless if you aren't aware of the situation. Again, it's not just that Google is trying to annoy you or "needlessly complicate" things. They're stuck given the level of current mobile tech just as all the mobile OS makers are. The OS's are closely tied to the hardware.

Such a problem shouldn't exist on a open platform
You don't understand what open means if you're using it that way. Open means open source. Android is definitely open source. Open doesn't mean "updates are readily available at anyone's whim". Open certainly makes it possible as anyone has access to the source however that doesn't guarantee that someone will take the source and do something with it. OEM's/developers have to take the source and adapt it to each device.

Its stuff like this that make me wonder why Google is so surprised Android isnt anywhere near as popular or widespread as Apple products.
Citation? You're conveniently ignoring Android's explosive growth. I've never seen anything mentioning that Google is surprised at Android's lack of growth. Where have you read this?

Lets not even get started on how they really jump the gun by making official androids just as expensive as Apple
Google does not make Android devices aside from the Nexus line. The OEM's make Android devices and the carriers set the price. As for the pricing of the Nexus line, it's nothing unique to Google. Go out and price any unsubsidized device.

There's a lot that you clearly don't understand and it's extremely difficult to have a meaningful conversation based on your lack of understanding. If you really think iOS is a superior option for you then go with it. Stop expecting other options to mirror iOS. Armchair analysts frequently seem to think that company A needs to copy company B to succeed and that's just not the case. Niches and choice benefit the consumer.

Reactions: Omar Days
Upvote 0
Okay, so the OS itself are open source and google cant legally sell it. Fair enough, but as said Google Apps suite is NOT open source. Why cant they sell that? Its just lame. Yes perhaps the person who bought me my tablet, and other people who buy tablets dont do research on the products, but why should people have to (and most non geeks dont) when the problem is a software one that can easily be fixed with firmware upgrades as evident-ed by that website that has custom firmware downloads? Such a problem shouldn't exist on a open platform, as the title suggests its open and thus software should be freely available. Its stuff like this that make me wonder why Google is so surprised Android isnt anywhere near as popular or widespread as Apple products. Not everyone is a tech head, people want simplicity and no frustration, and it seems Android doesnt address that. Lets not even get started on how they really jump the gun by making official androids just as expensive as Apple, thats something you do once the product has caught on, the way it is now most people will just go Ipad if they have 499$ laying around

What specific problems are you having that are software related? I'm curious.

Upvote 0
The problems Im having as I said entirely software. I love the Android hardware, but there is no option to download or even buy updates, so Im stuck with Android OS 2.3, at least until someone figures out how to hack the device to upgrade the OS. The other problem Im having, is despite being a longtime Google Account holder, Google wont let me download or use any of their products. From the Gmail App (my email is gmail and has been for years) to Google Earth and, infamously the Android Marketplace. I feel discriminated as a customer Google tells me, "tough luck" just because I dont have a Official Google Android from one of their partners. I dont like apple, and maybe some fanboys arent able to understand what Im saying because all they see is android negativity, but I'd be very happy with my Android if I could update its software and have access to google apps with my google account. Have you ever tried to browse your mail on a normal website on a tablet device? Its tedious to say the least.

Upvote 0
I'm confused. You say you are having problems that are entirely software related. I'm curious what the software problems you're having are. I'm sure someone on here might be able to help you out with the problems you're having. If you'll post some details on what problems you're having, we might be able to help.

Google only puts their apps on devices they sanction. This is because if they let their apps go on every device in the world, some of those devices are not going to run Android very well at all and are not going to run Google's apps well either. They'll be buggy as crap and people will blame Google for it.

Upvote 0
As a Nextbook Premium 7 as well as Incredible owner, I know where your frustrations are and it is nothing to do with Android 2.3. EFUN, the maker of the Nextbook does not provide a "complete" Android 2.3 operating system. It is stripped down without some apps and without the Android Market. Instead it has a third party market with only a fraction of the apps available. It is up to each manufacturer what they are going to provide in the operating system that they put on their phone/tablet. But instead of just complaining about what you purchased, because if you wait for EFUN's Android update it will still be lacking the features you are looking for, learn how to fix it or pay someone to fix it for you. There are ways to get Honeycomb and the Android Market on your tablet... Good luck.

Reactions: BlingItOn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones