• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrade to ICS - OTA problems

leventeve

Lurker
Apr 7, 2012
On the 2nd of April,I still haven't received my ICS 4.0.3 OTA update,so i decided to manually update it.
I followed a simple instruction on w w w. androidauthority .com
I'm very disappointed with this update,as I'm having problems with the speed,the mobile network and occasional freeze has been torturing me.
What's more,I also tried to manually update it to 4.0.4 the same way,and i can't even enter recovery mode (the little android shows for a sec then comes a black screen for 1 minute and it restarts itself).
Can I receive the OTA update for this manually upgraded 4.0.3,or the 4.0.4,and if not,what should i do?
My phone is not rooted and it's a GSM Nexus S 3g.
I'm from Hungary.

On the 2nd of April,I still haven't received my ICS 4.0.3 OTA update,so i decided to manually update it.
I followed a simple instruction on w w w. androidauthority .com
I'm very disappointed with this update,as I'm having problems with the speed,the mobile network and occasional freeze has been torturing me.
What's more,I also tried to manually update it to 4.0.4 the same way,and i can't even enter recovery mode (the little android shows for a sec then comes a black screen for 1 minute and it restarts itself).
Can I receive the OTA update for this manually upgraded 4.0.3,or the 4.0.4,and if not,what should i do?
My phone is not rooted and it's a GSM Nexus S 3g.
I'm from Hungary.
The update should still be available OTA, but you can manually update to v4.0.4 if you use the recovery menu properly. When the screen turns black it's not actually blank, it's simply turning off the backlighting to prevent users from using it easily as it's not a typical user feature. Use a flashlight or other bright light, hold the phone on an angle and you will see the selections on the darkened screen, using the volume down button highlight and select the Recovery option using the power button.

And to help avoid issues, do a factory reset BEFORE and AFTER updating to v4.0.4. This will wipe the phone removing all settings and apps, resetting to defaults, but it should help with the quirky behaviour.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones