• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade your device & maintain UDP using Best Buy

So, my family's plan is through Verizon - we've always dealt directly with Verizon, never a third party like BB or Costco or anything. We have an upgrade on the primary phone number and that line is still using a dumb-phone (never done the use-the-upgrade and transfer the phone to another line trick). My line still has unlimited data which I'd like to hold on to for now.

Two questions:

1) Can we do the trick where we use the primary line's upgrade to get a cheaper phone, switch it to my line and then downgrade the primary line's service again or does that trick not work anymore?

2) Is this a trick we can do the aforementioned trick with Best Buy deal mentioned in this thread or is that not an option because we work directly with Verizon?

Upvote 0
Yes you can. Just transferred my 2 unlimited data plan eligible upgrades to 2 phones that were not eligible. 1 happened to be basic phone line. The person I went thru did it all for me. Still have 2 lines unlimited data plan, 1 line 4gig, 1 line 2gig and a basic line. So, the phones we have are 2 LG G3 and 2 LG G2 and a basic flip phone. Hope this helps:)

Upvote 0
Since transfers are coming to an end it seems then I must act before the 24th to use my last transfer from my UDP line. The line I am using the transfer for also has an upgrade available. Will I lose this upgrade since I am transferring an upgrade to it? I wouldn’t think so but I want to check before I do this. My goal is to get a subsidized phone thru transferring my upgrade. Once this transaction goes thru then use that lines upgrade to get another phone at the subsidized price, then move one of those phones over to the UDP line. Thx!

Upvote 0
Just another reason to avoid the big red money-grubbing machine. Better to go to gsm prepaid with lte with t mobile or at&t or their mvnos.

Sorry for the stereotype, but I love how people that live and never leave the confines of a large metropolitan area say this.

There is a reason it is the BIG red machine, because those of us that live and travel outside of the confines of a large metropolitan area also enjoy having cellular coverage. GSM providers do not have the rural coverage the CDMA providers do...

Upvote 0
Sorry for the stereotype, but I love how people that live and never leave the confines of a large metropolitan area say this.

There is a reason it is the BIG red machine, because those of us that live and travel outside of the confines of a large metropolitan area also enjoy having cellular coverage. GSM providers do not have the rural coverage the CDMA providers do...

I respectfully disagree. the at&t network is just as good, and both t mobile and at&t mvnos can talk and text/roam on it.

Upvote 0
I respectfully disagree. the at&t network is just as good, and both t mobile and at&t mvnos can talk and text/roam on it.

"Here" talk and text can be hit and miss, and if you want data good luck... With VZN I have 4G in my house. ATT not so much.

Why are you trolling the VZN forum if you're so happy with t-mo anyway???

Upvote 0
OK I need a little more help. I went by VRZ store and they gave me a blank nano sim. I have ordered an adapter for it so that I can place the new nano in adapter in my Rezound for activation. Everything I have read says call verizon to activate new sim card. Should I do this or are there other actions I should take? Once I get the new sim activated I will order my new phone from best buy!!!

Upvote 0
I did the update transfer from my 2 lines w/UDP to a line that was a basic phone and a line that has 4gb. My 2 lines still have the UDP, dropped data plan on the basic phone and still have 4gb on the other. We now have 2 LG G3, 2 LG G2 and a basic phone. I did all of this between July 27-30 of this year. Anyway, I made a call the other day to Verizon regarding the LG G3 supposedly coming preinstalled with McAfee. Point is CSR don't care that you were able to get a new phone through BB work around. Give them a call, you pay for 4g you should have 4g. Post back on what happens.

Upvote 0
So this method has worked for the three smart phones I have with ULD plans. One I upgraded a LG Spectrum to a Galaxy Note 3 In June and the other two I upgraded my two Galaxy S3's to LG G3's just last week.

My question is the new G3 is LTE band 4 and band 13 capable for LTE advanced. Is my old Galaxy S3 SIM going to limit me to band 13 only?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones