• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade your device & maintain UDP using Best Buy

Subscribed. Want to know if this works after Oct 1st with new VZW throttling.....

Hoping this will work with Note 4 pre-order! Anyone give it a try?

I'd like to know. I also have an S3- what am I going to have to do to prepare for getting a Note 4, Z3 or Nexus 6 (if they come to VZ)? I still might get an iPhone 6, not sure- but this mess with swapping sims feels like it's more trouble than its worth. I might just give up and take the 6 GB offer rather than hold my breath anytime someone in our family wants to contact Verizon about something.

Has anyone been screwed by this yet?

Upvote 0
I ordered a Galaxy S5 through Amazon with the intention of using my old SIM in order to keep my UDP. However, when I received the phone I see that it uses a Micro SIM, my SIM is a Mini SIM (Droid Maxx). Other than ordering an adapter so it can fit, can I insert another Micro SIM that has nothing to so with the new phone order? I have one that VZW sent me months ago when I was having issues with my Razr Maxx HD. It is still new in the wrapper. I know I would have to call VZW to activate the SIM. Will that cause an issue?

Upvote 0
I'd like to know. I also have an S3- what am I going to have to do to prepare for getting a Note 4, Z3 or Nexus 6 (if they come to VZ)? I still might get an iPhone 6, not sure- but this mess with swapping sims feels like it's more trouble than its worth. I might just give up and take the 6 GB offer rather than hold my breath anytime someone in our family wants to contact Verizon about something.

Has anyone been screwed by this yet?

Swapping the SIMs takes all of 20 seconds, it is definitely NOT a hassle and is definitely worth it. I've had my Amazon LG G3 for 2 months and still have unlimited data.

Upvote 0
I just did the best buy method for upgrading one UDP line, then upgraded another UDP that wasn't yet eligible by buying a new phone for a different line, then swapping Sims. This was Friday, and everything still works. I did not lose UDP on either of the lines.

Hey man, I saw a post that you did back in May and was wondering if you think it still works. The problem I have is that I want an upgrade on Verizon to keep UDP but another line has the upgrade. Did you run into any problems that I should be aware of if I try the Best Buy Method? Also do you think MotoMaker would work with this too? (Was meant to be a visitor message but I don't have enough posts)

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if this still works? I saw Best Buy has the Electric Blue S5 on sale for $1 for upgrades and new lines. I have an upgrade on my line (UDP) and was wondering if I can still do the sim swap after ordering the phone online.

I finally bit the bullet and tried this last week (11-16). I used my wife's upgrade though lol. She is the primary on our account. As of right now we both still have our unlimited data. Her contract date changed within an hour of making the purchase but nothing else.

So yes, this still works.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I did the best by method two years ago and got the LG g2 for $1.00. My contract date is up April 29, 2016. I checked today and it has a upgrade date of February 14th 2016. If I upgrade before contract end date with the best buy method will it still work? Will I be able to keep my unlimited data and not pay the $20 increase?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones