• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded my firmware this morning....

I ran the RUU yesterday out of sheer boredom. I'm not really seeing the downside unless your REALLY want to root and tinker around. I am totally happy with the results, phone runs great (I don't see any HUGE gain in speed) and have access to the new programs in the market. There are no active backgrounds but I'm not losing any sleep over that.

Anyone else have comments/tips on the leaked RUU?

Upvote 0
I ran the RUU yesterday out of sheer boredom. I'm not really seeing the downside unless your REALLY want to root and tinker around. I am totally happy with the results, phone runs great (I don't see any HUGE gain in speed) and have access to the new programs in the market. There are no active backgrounds but I'm not losing any sleep over that.

Anyone else have comments/tips on the leaked RUU?

I also so little to no speed increase. Especially with the dialer.:(

Upvote 0
Didn't even test that..until now. The dialer is more responsive for me.

Also, I've read of some 'market fixes' that some recommend after using the RUU, but isn't that for peeps who were already rooted?

R.

No, the market fix is for anyone who runs the RUU that was leaked. That was signed with tester keys and in Android if it isn't signed with release keys then you can not see protected,both free and paid, apps in the market. So if you ran the RUU, you really need to fix the build.prop or you are missing a lot of apps from the market.

Also, the RUU is rooted, so if you ran the RUU, you are now running a rooted phone. If you really want to see a benefit in the speed and performance of the phone you need to remove some of the bloatware Sprint and HTC put in the phone. If you get rid of some of the useless apps your phone will work much better.

Upvote 0
No, the market fix is for anyone who runs the RUU that was leaked. That was signed with tester keys and in Android if it isn't signed with release keys then you can not see protected,both free and paid, apps in the market. So if you ran the RUU, you really need to fix the build.prop or you are missing a lot of apps from the market.

Also, the RUU is rooted, so if you ran the RUU, you are now running a rooted phone. If you really want to see a benefit in the speed and performance of the phone you need to remove some of the bloatware Sprint and HTC put in the phone. If you get rid of some of the useless apps your phone will work much better.

Oh...OOOOOH! So once I ran the RUU, my phone is now rooted, and I can flash new ROMs as described in other threads?

Upvote 0
Oh...OOOOOH! So once I ran the RUU, my phone is now rooted, and I can flash new ROMs as described in other threads?

Yes and no. Yes it is rooted and it is possible to flash other ROMs. No it isn't exactly like in the other threads because the RUU flashed a new hboot. So first you have to flash a recovery image which is not done exactly as it is for a regularly rooted Hero. There are instructions in the pre 2.1 leak thread and probably in the all things root sub-forum.

Reactions: Linoleum
Upvote 0
Yes and no. Yes it is rooted and it is possible to flash other ROMs. No it isn't exactly like in the other threads because the RUU flashed a new hboot. So first you have to flash a recovery image which is not done exactly as it is for a regularly rooted Hero. There are instructions in the pre 2.1 leak thread and probably in the all things root sub-forum.

Hey, I really appreciate the information, thanks much!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones