Upgraded to 2.1OTA? YOU CAN ROOT!!!

Last Updated:

1. ssgtob1

ssgtob1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone that cares:

I have officially went from 1.5 to 2.1OTA and have rooted my phone to Ivans 1.0 overclocked!!!!:D

Paul: I have a copy of the nandroid backup if you know who I need to give it to

Advertisement
  2. Hercules

Hercules Well-Known Member

Great news. Thanks for being one of the guinea pigs.

3. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

this is interesting, but really you not on the OTA anymore if you are on a different rom. there is no rooted roms based off the newest OTA so it doesnt change things too much for rooters.

4. AndroidFantic

AndroidFantic Well-Known Member

How i remeber hearing about flashing the HBOOT and then pulling the battery and using a nandroid do you mind to explain.

5. Sytar

Sytar Well-Known Member

So I just got the notification of the update is available, however I do want to get root. Currently I am at stock 1.5 without root, so I am starting from what it was out of the box.

Can someone please give me the information on what process I should use. Do I apply the OTA update first, or should I just do the update with the latest Rooted OTA update.

Also, what does each one do. If I do the Rooted update, do I loose all settings and stuff (same as a wipe), or will it update like the OTA does and keep all settings.

I have seen a few notes about 'recovery' images. When you get ready to update, does the app create a image of your current phone in the state it is in, or is it a recovery image that someone else made?

6. gubon13

gubon13 Member

I was in the exact same situation as you with the stock 1.5 (non-root), but I did the manual 2.1 OTA. After the OTA process, I followed the instructions here, but only did prerequisite step A and step I. That gave me root access on 2.1 OTA.

Root update using the above method DOES wipe settings and data.

If you only want root access, you don't need to install the recovery partition. You can see what features it gives you here.

7. schmunkey

schmunkey Active Member

So, since the OTA and leak v3 are essentially the same thing does that mean if v3 leakers were to follow those same steps we could have root?

8. gubon13

gubon13 Member

As I understand it, no. This is because the v3 leak used a different HBOOT loader and all of the root exploits are dependent upon the older HBOOT loader that is in 1.5, 2.1 OTA and 2.1 v1 leak.

schmunkey likes this.
  9. DrewDroid

DrewDroid Member

Forgive me, but I'm very cautious with this stuff...

I did the manual OTA 2.1 from 1.5 as well...I would like to have Root...when you say it wipes settings and data, what information does that include? Does it wipe my SD? Does it remove all apps? I just want to make sure that I know what I'm going to have to replace so I can take the appropriate precautions.

thanks!

10. gubon13

gubon13 Member

Does not wipe SD card, but it wipes contacts, applications, and settings.

DrewDroid likes this.