Upgraded to 2.2 - wi-fi not working properlySupport

Last Updated:

1. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Disclaimer: I've started a new thread as I felt this was distinct enough from 2.2 feedback and different from a similar thread.

I upgraded to 2.2 today, did it over my mobile H connection and it all worked fine, no problems to report.

Got home and turned the wi-fi on and while it will see all the surround access points, included mine, it won't actually connect to mine. When I go right into the settings and look at what's happening it appears to be unable to get past 'Obtaining Address'

Nothing has changed on my wireless setup from this morning when 2.1 connected fine.

I've rebooted both the router and the phone and it still doesn't connect. All i've not done yet is a factory reset on the phone, but to be honest i'm loathe to do that unless it's completely necessary.

Strangely the wi-fi hotspot feature on the phone is working fine.

Can someone please help, this is a major issue for me.

Advertisement
  2. jimdriver2

Anyone?

3. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

Sorry, not sure. All I can suggest is perhaps "forgetting" your saved WiFi network and connecting again, entering the password.

4. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Hmmm that's odd, I got the update too but my Wifi all seems to work fine...

Factory reset may be an option, have you spoken to HTC?

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Why does the OP need to factory reset?

It's simply forgotten his wifi. Could simply be as easy as needing to repress a pairing button on the router, or re-enter the password on the desire.

6. d.knight99

Well yeah but I thought I'd avoid being a parrot...

And I didn't say he "needs to factory reset" just that it may be an option. The implication of that is that he may consider it after trying the suggestions previously mentioned and after contacting HTC.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The thing is too many people suggest factory resets for the most easily solved issues leaving posters having done one with the same issue they originally asked for help with.

It really should be the very last thing you do after exhausting everything else.

It's my biggest pet hate on the forum.

8. d.knight99

Agreed, resets aren't the be-all and end-all of answers to difficult tech support questions. It isn't something I would normally suggest, but as the OP had specifically mentioned that he has already done a fair bit of work towards resolving the issue and specifically mentioned not wanting to do one, I thought it may be appropriate to touch on the idea that it "may be an option". If you were to argue that I was stating the obvious a little, I may accept it, but simply jumping in and implying that I just went "NO! It's f**ked, factory reset it NOW!!" is unfair. Nowhere in my post did I tell him to do a factory reset.

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Appologies.

Just every post I've read today mentioned factory reset, and, well I snapped LOL.

10. d.knight99

No worries, I maybe should have worded it a little better and perhaps not been so quick to state the obvious! I know what you mean though, all too often the response is "Turn it off, then back on again, if that doesn't work, do a system restore."

11. drbell

drbell Member

I had the same problem with 2.1. Have posted twice on here and no-one (nx1977) could help. O2 were (initially) useless. HTC couldn't help. Router manufacturer was hopeless too. However, I tried O2 again and got put through to a very helpful man. As an absolute last resort, he suggested a hard reset before finally deciding that i needed a new handset. I've done it now and, despite backup apps being a little more cumbersome than i expected, the phone is now working perfectly and restored to its former glory.

12. d.knight99

Excellent, that's great news! I'm glad it worked out for you. When you say a hard reset, what exactly did the tech support guy have you do?

13. jimdriver2

Thanks for the replies guys.

Like people have said i've tried a number of things. I'm going to pursue more options until i've exhausted everything bar a factory reset. The main reason for that being, if the FR doesn't work, i've a 'blank' phone and only my mobile data connection for downloading everything again.

So far i've changed the router password, forgot and re-connected the access point on the phone, and done numerous reboots of router and phone.

My next steps are going to be trying a different channel on the router, and then switching to my old Virgin Media router to see if it connects to that.

I'm going to email HTC now as well for any help, though I don't expect much.

14. jimdriver2

Way-Hey! I've kind of sorted it.

I went into my router and the DHCP reserved settings I manually added the Desire's MAC address and assigned it an IP address. It connected fully immediately.

Not an ideal solution, seeing that it's more or less a work around, but it will do for now.

The only issue will be if it doesn't connect to other wireless networks (offices, pubs etc) but it did connect to a BT Openzone before so hopefully that won't be a problem.

15. d.knight99

Oh well at least that's a step in the right direction! Nice work.

Have you had issues connecting to lots of networks or just your home one?

16. jimdriver2

I've not been able to test it on any other networks yet, not been anywhere that had one I could use.

There was a BT Open zone visible from my house so I connected to it, which it said it did (connected status, logo up etc) but I tried to load up a web page but the signal was too weak.

If it can't connect to other networks i'll be a bit torn about what to do. A good 95% of the time I only connect to my home router, so if that works i'm basically fine, but it would be pain not to be able to use others.

At least a factory reset seems less of a worrying proposition now, knowing I can get it to connect to my home router.