• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgraded today!

Wild182

Sep 30, 2009
I rang Orange today and told them I wanted to cancel my contract as it was up next week, but they offered me a decent deal so I've accepted and tomorrow when my Desire HD arrive my Hero will be off to Mazuma after a fond 18 months.

I'll be on free handset, 200 minutes, unlimited texts, 750MB internet and free insurance for the full 18 months (usually

I rang Orange today and told them I wanted to cancel my contract as it was up next week, but they offered me a decent deal so I've accepted and tomorrow when my Desire HD arrive my Hero will be off to Mazuma after a fond 18 months.

I'll be on free handset, 200 minutes, unlimited texts, 750MB internet and free insurance for the full 18 months (usually

Upvote 0
Well, first of all, the Hero is no match to the DHD, as the desire is way better in terms of specs and mostly performance! Having that said, I absl love the Hero, because its beautiful, has a great display and.. it was my first HTC... The thing that I didn't like about it was its terrible performance and occasional lagging, where the DHD is just outstanding! The only DHD downside for me is its display - compared to the colors, brightness and black levels of Desire z or Samsung galaxy s... its sux big time.

Upvote 0
Cheers guys.

Yeah I love the Hero too, fantastic phone and my first HTC, but the occassional lagging was a pain (which is getting worse) and now I've stopped receiving text messages every now and then so I'm happy for an upgrade, but there was nothing else I'd consider other than another HTC.

And seems the battery issue isn't really an issue depending on how your using your phone, and you should expect it to drop fast if your constantly on the net!

Can't wait to get it now and have a go on it

Upvote 0
Yea, here are some tips that I got

1. skip the sync part when you first boot the phone. You can try to auto-it later.

2. adjust the screen brightness to about 30%. Since its a really large screen, that pretty much takes off a big juice out of your battery.

3. home navigation vibrate - remove it. doesnt really help alot IMO.

4. Do not download task killers. According here, the new Android 2.2 has upgraded its software to remove unused task. No need for a task killer background to be running all the time.

5. Download SwitchPRO widget. :) manages your wifi,bluetooth,gps,silent/vibrate mode,battery life, etc.

Upvote 0
So how are you enjoying it?

So far so good! Its a huge step up from my old hero which was expected. Things like the viewing web pages are just unbelievable compared to the small screen of the hero.

As for battery, I don't leave my mobile internet/wifi running constantly, just turn them on when I need them/want to check emails and stuff, so far I'm comfortably getting 2 days out of my phone.

Its a really nice phone, and i'm really enjoying the larger screen, as already stated with internet, things like texting and so on are easier too.

My hero used to lag on games such as Angry Birds but theres none of that and the graphics are better.

Only thing annoying me is the amount of crap apps that were already on there that Orange put on, especially travelTV or whatever its called, which I clicked and it locked me in a month free trial and

Upvote 0
Put screen on auto brightness. No point in being silly.

Be prepared to charge regularly (every night at the least)

Don't avoid the setup at the start.

Head into synching options to disable auto updates and set realistic sync frequencies.

Don't install a task killer.

Don't waste time "conditioning" your battery. It makes no difference whatsoever.

head to the marketplace and download PewPew.

Upvote 0
Infact, update, only thing I'm not liking is the stock Gmail app isn't pushing emails through for some reason... found it in the settings and it was set to push emails immediately, but can't seem to find it now, if I have the internet on nothing comes through so I have to manually refresh it when I want to check them, bit of a pain, any ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
t can't seem to find it now, if I have the internet on nothing comes through so I have to manually refresh it when I want to check them, bit of a pain, any ideas anyone?

Do you have your gmail account open on another PC? I don't get notifications and the app is slow in general if my gmail account is open on the laptop.

Upvote 0
Do you have your gmail account open on another PC? I don't get notifications and the app is slow in general if my gmail account is open on the laptop.

Not usually, If i'm on my PC my mobile net is usually off, unless i'm downloading apps etc.

When I'm out and on the mobile net my PC is off and thus logged out of Gmail from my PC.

It was never a problem on my Hero it worked fine from the first day, but this just hasn't worked at all, its not a huge problem as I can just keep refreshing, but it is nice to get a notification automatically when you get a new email

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones