Upgrading a Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus PRIME i9250Support

Last Updated:

1. Advait

Advait Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting an unlocked GSM Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus PRIME i9250 with Android 4.0 from Ebay USA and have someone bring it to me here in India.

Can I upgrade this to 4.1? Will being in India make it difficult or impossible to upgrade to 4.1? Is the upgrade done over-the-air? Or do I download it from the web?

Here in India it's easy to get a plan with 3G data connectivity. For upgrading to 4.1 I presume it doesn't matter that I'm here in India, but I want to make sure.

I did some googling and it looks like it can be upgraded to 4.1. But I'm very new to Android and want to make sure.

Thanks!

Advait

Advertisement
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey Advait, I moved your thread to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus forum. Thanks for understanding :)

If you are buying an unlocked Galaxy Nexus, it should already be upgraded to Jelly Bean by this point. You shouldn't have to do anything but turn on the phone and enjoy Android 4.1. :)
  3. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

The int'l GNex's seem to vary by carrier as to whether or not they have a JB update available (or even 4.0.4). So you may want to be clear about what exactly you are getting before you buy it.
  4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

You will need to make sure that the one you get on Ebay did indeed come from the Google Play store here in the United States. If if is, then it should already be upgraded to 4.1 (or it should update itself when you turn on WiFi or connect to a new carrier for the first time).
    Advait likes this.
  5. Advait

Advait Well-Known Member

Hello aurora40 and Petrah,

Thanks for the info!

However, I discovered the Galaxy Nexus does not have an SDHC slot which is one of my *must-haves*. So it's off my list of candidates. I'm now searching for other phones. Must haves: Android 4, 32gb SDHC slot, unlocked GSM, and user swappable battery.

Thanks,

Advait
  6. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

T-Mobile has the Galaxy SII for $300ish. I assume it isn't carrier locked, since you would be buying it outright. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

It does meet the rest of your requirements, though, and also is the nicest SII variant (faster processor and has NFC).
    Advait likes this.
  7. Advait

Advait Well-Known Member

Hello aurora40,

Thanks. Looks like this phone has all I need. I'll start shopping around for it. Cheers,

Advait