• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrading and the SD card

Just thinking that when my upgrade is due (8/27/13) I will be going to the new Commando.
My current Commando is rooted with a lot of my apps and info on the SD card. Including TP and other "rooted programs" like Go SMS Pro etc. Many apps could only be moved when rooted too.

Will it be possible to somehow transfer over the SD into the new Commando and use the apps? Somehow I don't have hope that its possible or that easy!

Or do I just wait for the first root version of the new phone and then do the move?

This depends how you store your apps on the sd card. If you use the regular apps2sd method, having the .android-secure folder, and having to wait to get your apps usable, then it will be difficult. you would most liktly have to re-install or restore with titanium backup (if you use that)

if you have your apps on an ext2/3/4 partition, then all you have to do is go to the app link2sd and re-create the mount scripts, which it does for you. However, that is only if it is rooted.

You also have to consider the fact that all the apps are probably not going to work with ICS and you would have to update them via play store before you could use them.

in summary, if your not rooted then forget it. you will have to re-install one by one. if you are rooted, but have them in the .android-secure folder, same as above. if your rooted and you use the ext2/3/4 partitions, then you have a chance of about 2/3-3/4 of the apps working.

Upvote 0
One alternative is to install Android Assistant and use its Apps Backup Tool. It backs up only the apk files to the sd card. On the old phone go into Settings -- Applications-- Privacy and click the box next to Automatic Restore. It backs up to your Google account. If you don't have it that way now, I don't know how long it takes. Could be a manual Account Sync takes care of it.

Then install the apks on the new phone from the card. First you'll have to go into the Settings -- Security and click to allow Unknown Sources. It's a good idea to turn this off when you're done. Once they're installed they should restore the settings. Some apps are better at this than others.

If you do go with the new Commando get the extended battery. Worth the money, adds slight width, considerable battery life, and a surprising amount of heft. But then it isn't the Calista Flockhart of phones. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones