Upgrading Android OS to v2.0 "Rosie" on G1General

Last Updated:

1. Kragen2179

Kragen2179 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, am looking into replacing the Android operating system on my G1 with v2.0 "Rosie"

the biggest reason for this is because I am only 11 months into an 18 month contract and therefore cannot consider upgrading my handset (although it wouldn't be for the G2-Touch as that has no physical keyboard)

but I like the look of the G2's OS and having looked around the interweb have found out how to put it onto my G1.

There are, however a few unanswered questions.

1st and foremost does it invalidate my warranty if I installed different software - by this i mean if the device becomes physically broken (not a software malfunction) would I still be covered, would I have to factory default/unroot the device before sending it to T-Mobile if it develops a fault?

2nd I know when you root android to install another version of the OS, you lose the ability to receive OTA updates. would this be the same if you installed the manufacturors version of the G2 OS onto the G1?

3rd if anyone here has done this, how stable is it? and would you reccomend flashing to the G2 OS?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

I think i recall another AF member having tried the Rosie .. but due to memory lag switched back to CyanogenMod ...

3. Kragen2179

Kragen2179 Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm yeah think I read somewhere it might be laggy due to working off sd card :(

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Ok well first thing goto www.forum.xda-developers.com and get the newest Hero ROMs, one by MLIGN and another by JAC/cc. You will want to have a class 6 micro sd card, around 8GB. You need to partition it in CM Recovery 1.3 or 1.4, you will want a 512mb ext2/3/4 partition and a 96mb linux-swap partition. The linux-swap is what gives your G1 extra "RAM" although its not true RAM, also in those ROMs they have the new 10mb RAM hack which is a big speed boost. I have used many Hero ROMs for months and months, the newest ones are extremely faster. You will get lag when going from the browser to other apps/home but that is the worst of it. Sense is really nice and adds a lot of functionality to Android, but its up to the user to decide if its worth the extra setup and little bit of lag. You can find plenty of guides and information on how to do all of this at the site I linked.

5. Fingerlickin

Fingerlickin Member

hey codani,

xda bad mmmmmmk. link to the roms but lets make our own guides here.

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Haha good thinking.

7. The Reverend Gridlock

The Reverend Gridlock Active Member

yes new guides good, xda bad,evil,naughty. now phandroid has some experinced members to teach them a thing or 2