Upgrading from 8gb to 16gb (Am I screwed)General

Last Updated:

1. mss12

mss12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My 8gb card is almost all taken up with music, etc...if I want to transfer over everything to a 16gb card...how can I do this?

Advertisement
  2. karib

karib Well-Known Member

Follow this tutorial:

Originally Posted by pkopalek [​IMG]
    More well-known brands like SanDisk are usually better quality, and their class 4 cards rival the speeds of other Class 6 cards. So those will give improvement as well, and are worth consideration. I opted for spending the least $$$ and what I've read for reviews.

A-DATA cards are okay, but their class 6 cards tend to be SLOWER than rival class 4 cards (which is lame) in terms of read/write.

I found a speed test with the RiData class 6 cards that illustrate VERY fast read/write speeds, right along with what a class 6 should be, so I got it.

When you get your new card in the mail, here's what you do:
    1) Plug your phone into your computer via USB.
    2) Select to Transfer Files via USB from your Notifications bar (Mount!)
    3) On your computer, drag ALL of the contents of your SD card into a folder somewhere (I put a folder called 'SD Card' on my desktop, and dragged them all into there, but you can do as you wish!)
    4) Back on your phone, once the transfer is complete, go to your Notification bar > Unmount the SD card from the computer.
    5) From home, Menu > Settings > SD Card > Unmount SD Card.
    6) Physically take our old SD card out of your phone - It's on the back under your battery cover. If you're facing the back of the phone, it's on your right. It clicks down, then pulls up after it clicks down.
    7) Physically put the NEW SD Card in the place of the old one (it'll click down then stay).
    8) On the same screen you might already be on (or to get back from home, Menu > Settings > SD Card), select Format SD Card. Go ahead and push Yes when it asks if you're sure! (this will make sure the SD Card is formatted the way your phone likes it, rather than the way the manufacturer sent the card to you!)
    9) With your phone again (or still) plugged into your computer, go to your Notification bar > click on the USB again, and 'Mount' the SD card to the computer. (if you cannot get to the USB icon again in the notification bar at this point, you may need to unplug the phone from the computer for a few seconds, then plug it back in!)
    10) On your computer, drag ALL of the files from your 'SD Card' folder that you made, DIRECTLY onto the new SD Card. It might have already created a '.footprints' directory or others, so it will ask if you want to replace those files. SELECT YES TO ALL.

You're done.

Within a minute or two of playing with your phone, your phone will settle into the new SD card (which is not worth explaining why), and your phone will be moving quickly and efficiently.

I take no credit for this useful information!

3. mmiles84

mmiles84 Member

Plug your phone into your computer make an icon on your desktop call it what ever you want "droid transfer" or something like that copy everything over to that folder. Than put your new micro sd card in your phone, plug that into the computer and than copy the information from the desktop folder back over to the new card its not that hard. Any questions let me know.

4. bad05gtt

bad05gtt Well-Known Member

Karib...where did you order your RiData card from and how much was it... i want to order one friday!...Thanks

5. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I didn't get a ridata card, I got a transcend 16gb class 6. I bought it from "my digital discount" for $79.99 shipped. Costs more than the ridata, but from what I've heard, it is better quality. Seems too be taking a long time to get here!

6. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I got my 16gb card from the local CompUSA. Don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $50.

7. bad05gtt

bad05gtt Well-Known Member

ordered my 16 gb class 6 from newegg today for 60.99 and free shipping..along with my 2.1 update that i received today....JUST KIDDING :D it will be interesting to see what difference it makes !

8. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

9. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

10. antnyp85

antnyp85 Well-Known Member

IMO, if you're going to upgrade, try looking for at least a Class 4 if you can't afford a Class 6. You're already going to be spending some money, so don't go for a Class 2.

11. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I just used the methoi above (copie 8GB to a folder on the desktop / swap cards / copy back to new 16GB card) and the phone works fine

Apparently no hidden files or anything to worry about. Simpe copy and paste

12. karib

karib Well-Known Member

What brand did you get? And where did you get it from??

13. Blue218

Blue218 Well-Known Member

I got a 16g class 6 for $48.00 (including shipping) from NewEgg.com I think it is Ridata and itmworks fine.

14. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I searched for it on Froogle, and it was RiData. Froogle linked me to some electronics site that I've never heard of, where I bought it. I trusted Froogle that it would be a reputable site, and apparently it was!

And I also saw similar prices at NewEgg, and even something reasonably priced on Amazon.com.