Upgrading from a dumb phone.General

Last Updated:

1. shnoobles

shnoobles Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So currently I have an LG Dare. I got it in July. I was hoping to buy the incredible now, however verizon is telling me that i need to pay full retail on the phone.

I was under the impression that I could upgrade to the Incredible and pay the $200 2-year contract fee.

So whats the dealio? Is it because I don't have a data plan currently? Would I be able to purchase through Wirefly?

Advertisement
  2. Quintessence

Quintessence Well-Known Member

Unless you are eligible for an upgrade you will have to pay the $530 plus retail.

That being said, you can cancel your account for around $400 and get the $199.

Wirefly may be cheaper, but remember that unless you can renew your subscription then you cannot get the new contract price.

shnoobles likes this.
  3. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

The Early termination on the dare should be less as it's not a smartphone. Then you can get 2 yr pricing on the DI.

4. shnoobles

Yea, thats what I was confused about. I understand I'm terminating one contract early, but I'm just going to be renewing for another 2 years. siiigh no clue. ill sotp by verizon tomorrow and ask.

5. Quintessence

Quintessence Well-Known Member

True that, it should be around $175. So it would still be cheaper then retail. =)

6. shnoobles

I ended up going to verizon last night. The way it was explained to me, I'd have to pay full retail on the phone. There doesn't seem to be any real way around that. Lets see if i can convince me office to pay for it :p

7. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

shnoobles, I was able to convince them to not only allow me to update my phone but also my wifes. We purchased our last phones last july. I just called and contacted via email. A really nice gentleman set up out plans so that i could pre-order. And then when it came the wife wanted one so i picked hers up on the 30th. Just write via email. Tell them how long you've been with them (i've been with 5 years), and tell them that you are interested in getting the phone, except for the cost. Tell them you want to upgrade to a "more expensive plan", and that you would jump on a discounted price, but don't feel comfortable with $500.

It worked for me. I have perfect credit, pay my bills on time, am military, and like I said been with them forever.

Good LUCK!

shnoobles likes this.
  8. shnoobles

Hm... It seems thats going to be my next effort! thanks for the heads up.