upgrading from a rooted G1 - what to get?

Last Updated:

1. icerado

icerado Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys I'm not new to this site, but this is my first time visiting the forums. I have had my g1 since about a month after launch and have been very loyal to t-mobile and my g1.

Now that my measly 500mhz processor is starting to show its age I need to upgrade to a new phone. My family has verizon and I know a few people who have att and it has reasonable service here. Sprint is mediocre at best and I don't wanna pay for 4g if I can only get it in Philly.

My biggest concern is getting a phone now when we all know by christmas the phones will most likely be much better. I would love to stick with HTC but Motorola seems to be launching some good phones. I have a month-2-month contract with T-mobile so I can cancel whenever I decided to, so if you guys have any info on upcoming phones I would great appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. opticalshadow

opticalshadow Well-Known Member

i currently own a N1 on t-mo with M2M no contract aswell, ive seen the phones coming out (confirmed) and the ones that are out and i dont see a point to upgrading. id recomend this phone, which you can prolly get off ebay for a few hundred bucks.

as far as specs go its still used as a contender with the newer phones coming out, and even those are only marginally, if at all better. i dont myself plan on upgrading until duel core Cpu's hit, and im really holding out for the N2 (come on google just do it)

3. icerado

I do love the n1, but I am also a little partial to having a good camera. I can get a droidx for $200, but if verizon keeps with this system a new droid will be out in october so I might as well wait for another month and get a phone the day it launches.

I will look into the n2 because I have a few friends who also hype the n1 up so I can only imagine the n2 will be at the head of the pack.

4. icerado

bump...anyone else have suggestions?

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

You got any one of the Galaxy S phones to oogle at, though we know the GPS sucks more than a Hoover vacuum cleaner on them. We got the Evo and the Epic, but those are out due to 4G fines you have to be penalized monthly for. We got Verizon and their whole Droid lineup with the Droid 1-2, the X, the Incredible, and the other low-end ones. Tmobile has a few.... AT&T doesn't have much that's mentionable...

I say just wait.

6. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

Droid 2 if you have to have a keyboard, or the G2 that is coming out if you want to stick with T-Mo. I personally would go to the Droid X or Fascinate (or other Galaxy S on your choice of carrier) if I were upgrading now. I am eligible for a 1 year upgrade in Nov, but I plan on waiting for Verizon 4g phones to launch before I upgrade. But If I were you, it'd be Droid X, Galaxy S, Droid 2, or G2 in that order (I hate T-Mo personally)

7. icerado

I am leaning towards the droidx, but seeing as I didn't get one preordered soon enough I might as well wait for the droidpro. I don't really want to stay with tmobile only because as much as they may be rolling out 4g they haven't bettered their service much in my area. Looks like I'll be holding off for october/november and I'll just preorder to be sure I'm gettin the most current technology