Upgrading from Droid to Droid 2?

Last Updated:

1. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

Currently, I have the original Motorola Droid on Verizon. My dad was thinking of getting himself a Droid 2, as he's got a 4-year-old Palm Treo and wants something with Internet everywhere. I know that currently, Verizon has a "buy one, get one free" on smartphones, including the Droid 2.

I just called them, and 2 of our lines are eligible for upgrade (We have 5 lines on a family plan). Mine would be able to be upgraded without a hitch since I have the data plan and everything already.

I'm just curious if it's a good idea to upgrade. Currently my phone is rooted and I use ROM Manager on a regular basis to back up my phone, I've already had it crash and delete my text messages a few times in which case I restored the backups. I've read that it's possible to root the Droid 2, just making sure. Does ROM Manager, and all that other root-only stuff such as ShootMe, Root Explorer, etc. work on it?

Also, what about my apps and data? Can I back up my text messages somehow (using like, SMS Backup And Restore), then restore them on the Droid 2? Or does that not work?

Other than that... do you guys recommend it? I know the Droid 2 has a faster processor, and the 8GB internal memory seems nice to me, since my 512MB on the Droid fills up all the time and I have to keep moving apps to the SD card. At the same time, it would take some getting used to the redesigned keyboard, though I suppose I can get used to it.
    Is there anything you would NOT recommend about the Droid 2 that's better on the original? I'm just thinking out loud here, I want to make sure it's a good idea to upgrade.

Of course, I'd still have the original Droid, so even if I don't like the Droid 2 I could switch back and have a free phone :D

Advertisement