1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Upgrading from Fascinate to S3: what can I pull over?Support

1. EdNerd

EdNerd Well-Known Member

I am upgrading my Samsung Fascinate (Verizon Galaxy S) to the Galaxy S III (still on Verizon), and I have a few questions about moving stuff from one to the other. I do have Rerware Backup Pro. Oh, and my Fascinate would never take an OTA update, so it's stuck on 2.1!

-- Can I copy over all my apps? Or do I have to go to the Play store and re-download one at a time?

-- I have some non-market apps. Can I copy the apks and reinstall that way? Or do I have to go back to their site and re-download?

-- I've got al my music, photos, and videos on my SD card. Should I anticipate any problems when I install my card in the new phone?

-- Can I back up my bookmarks and move them? (I don't remember if Backup Pro gets those or not.)

-- Is there anything I'm not thinking of that I'll really miss if I don't think of it?

Ed

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

are you rooted? If not youll only be able to move the non-market apks and then install them. For the stuff on your SD, for me anyway the s3 didnt recognise it until i formatted it in the s3 so maybe copy it onto a pc then back again :thumbup:
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

If you allow Google to backup your apps and data, as soon as you sign into the s3 he apps and data will redownload

The stuff on the SD card should work normal when you put it into the new phone.
    funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

didnt the backup to google thing only begin with 4.0 mate? First time my apps auto downloaded was going from my Xperia to s3
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I believe with the new Google services it should be independent of android version, but you bring up a good point.

I'm not 100% sure
  6. EdNerd

EdNerd Well-Known Member

With the RerWare Backup Pro, everything - almost!! - went pretty smooth. There's a few glitches and hitches; some I'm going to have to ask the developers about.

Thanks for the input.
    Ed