• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading in October

MrMattux

Sep 19, 2009
So, everyone, I love my Hero, but I'm upgrading in October (I'm a prime member or w/e). Thing is, I want to know what you think I should upgrade to. I could get the EVO, which until now has seemed the perfect choice, or the Epic. The Epic's keyboard seems to be a strong selling point for me, even though I've never needed a physical keyboard. But then there is the 4.3" screen on the EVO.

What about battery life though? And is the screen on the Epic alright? I mean...if the screen on the Epic is pretty big and it has hella better battery life, I'd just as well go for the Epic right?

Anyone played with both of them?

The Epic looks promising, but I would wait and see, it get's released on Aug 31, I would allow others to report on it, @ it's pricey price of $249 and the rumor that the GPS in the galaxy S seems to be a major issue for many as they have not come out with a fix as of yet in the couple of models they have already released I would wait to see the performance form other members first. He is more info below.

header2.jpg
reservenow.jpg
samsungepic2.jpg
samsungepic4g.jpg
galaxy2.jpg
spacer_explorer.jpg
findus.jpg
spacer_youtube.jpg

So, everyone, I love my Hero, but I'm upgrading in October (I'm a prime member or w/e). Thing is, I want to know what you think I should upgrade to. I could get the EVO, which until now has seemed the perfect choice, or the Epic. The Epic's keyboard seems to be a strong selling point for me, even though I've never needed a physical keyboard. But then there is the 4.3" screen on the EVO.

What about battery life though? And is the screen on the Epic alright? I mean...if the screen on the Epic is pretty big and it has hella better battery life, I'd just as well go for the Epic right?

Anyone played with both of them?

Upvote 0
The thing that is going to suck ass for us Hero users come our upgrades is the fact that we pretty much (depending on where you live of course) get most of the features that those phones get, without paying that lame ass extra fee of $10 a month!

I live in Metro Detroit, MI, and I get no 4G and there are no plans that I can see of, to bring it here in the near future.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind the physical keyboard is an added feature, you still have the option of using only the virtual keyboard, use it if you need it.

@MrMattux I also plan on upgrading in October but I don't have any need at all for the phones that are out there now. I like the Epic but I DON'T like the physical keyboard. I'm hoping Sprint will release something wonderful between now & upgrade time. :)

Upvote 0
The thing that is going to suck ass for us Hero users come our upgrades is the fact that we pretty much (depending on where you live of course) get most of the features that those phones get, without paying that lame ass extra fee of $10 a month!

I live in Metro Detroit, MI, and I get no 4G and there are no plans that I can see of, to bring it here in the near future.

From what I have heard, regardless if you can get 4g in your area or not, with the Evo and the Galaxy you WILL be paying that extra $10 fee!

Upvote 0

Metro Detriot area also and from what I have heard they are upgrading towers now in this area....have you noticed your coverage has gotten bad in the last few weeks...been told the upgrading is causing it

Upvote 0

STARTING to get most of the features, and only thanks to the pretty active aftermarket community... Sucks about the $10/mo fee, but maybe in the future that will be waved. Well, probably not, but here's hoping, ha. Plus, the hardware will be great for longer than the Hero was, that's for sure. Plus longer official support... eh. Hell, the Nexus One came out a few months later than the Hero, and is STILL comparable to almost every smartphone coming out.

Upvote 0
@MrMattux I also plan on upgrading in October but I don't have any need at all for the phones that are out there now. I like the Epic but I DON'T like the physical keyboard. I'm hoping Sprint will release something wonderful between now & upgrade time. :)

This is my plan. The EVO seems to be a pretty good phone though I haven't done much research on it. But I have to believe that Sprint/HTC will come out with something pretty nice for the holidays. There are a couple of websites that seems to know what new phones will be coming out, so I will just keep an eye on them and then decide in December.

Upvote 0
Sorry to burst your bubble @Mauddib, but the EVO is their plan for the holidays.

I just love the form factor of the EVO with it's screen and whatnot. I was pissed about the $10 charge for 4G for a while, but I'm over it and plan on just shelling out the extra cash. I get a discount for where I work anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones