• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 to ics via kies

budvegas

Lurker
Dec 15, 2010
Hi everyone

I have a rooted samsung galaxy s2. Now the ICS update is available via Kies.

My question is:

If I do this update, will my phone still be rooted?

The reason I ask is I have backup pro which (because I am rooted) backups all apps and data and I want to be able to restore.

Thanks in advance.

Bud

I followed a different method. It will cost you some small amount of money though (can't remember .. like $2.99).

Download the Mobile odin pro app from play, then download the correct ICS update as described in the first and second post of this page:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/523455-ics-csc-you-eligible-update.html

Finally unzip the file into a *folder* on your android device and invoke the mobile odin. Choose "preserve root" or something like that when you install the image.. It worked flawlessly on my Galaxy S2 i9100

Instructions for mobile odin are here
How to flash and root new 4.0.4 ICS stock rom - xda-developers

It is important to take a nandroid backup before you start, so you can go back to GB if you decide ICS is not for you.. Unfortunately I forgot that part :(

Anyway till now Im happy with ICS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones