Upgrading SD Card for Motorola DroidSupport

Last Updated:

1. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't think this has been asked before in this forum, but if it has, I apologize for repeating...

Just like many of you probably are, I am in need of more storage. 14 GB is evaporating fast, and I'm not sure the SD card is upgradable yet.

I don't fully understand exactly what an SD card does besides provide storage (ie: does it function as a hard drive, etc). Basically, how are those who are upgrading their SD cards doing so without having to reload all your apps, re-buying apps you paid for, and having to otherwise completely set up your Droid all over again from scratch? :eek:

Advertisement
  2. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

Apps are stored on the internal memory of the phone not the sd card. Unless your rooted and have apps2sd. If you want more then 16gb the 32gb sd cards just went up for preorder and there like 150$

3. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Most of what you're referring to is stored in the phone's local memory. SD card is utilized more for cache and you're personal stuff ie: music, movies, pictures. Some apps write to SD as well and most bigger ones will extract to your SD. To solve any worries you have about it, all you would need to is drag your entire SD contents to your desktop and once you get the new one, just move it back over. Done and Done. Hope this helped.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The sdcard is used primarily for YOUR data (i.e. pics, videos, music) and some apps use it for custom settings. It does NOT contain your installed apps, free or paid. Think of it more as an external drive connected to your PC/Mac ... or a thumbdrive.

Currently, the 16GB sdcard that your DROID came with is about the only option available. Manufacturers are starting to release 32GB sdcards, but they aren't very affordable yet (approx. $160?, I think). Hardly not worth it to me.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

A lot of apps do store stuff on the SD to save space on the internal though. Just open up your SD directory and see what apps have made folders on it, that should give you a better idea.

6. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now I have to do something. Like many here, I've gone crazy flashing just about every new ROM that comes out and making my ClockworkMod backups. I just tried backing up my current ROM (CyanogenMod 6.0.0 RC-1) so I could flash yet another, and my backup FAILED. Checked the amount of free space on my SD CARD and it said I had 1.1MB left. I deleted all my backups (except for my current backups) and any music stored on my SD CARD and now I have 2.8MB of free space. Apparently, it's still not enough for a successful backup. I don't know what could be taking up so much space or what else to delete.

Is it time for a new SD CARD?

7. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Well lets see here. To upgrade, you have to buy the new sd card. copy all the crap on the old one to your pc, pop the old one out and put the new one in. Copy all the crap onto the new one, and voila!

Also, class 4 or 6 is really worth it.

8. AuTumnPunkin

AuTumnPunkin Member

"Cache"s take up TONs of Space!! One app "APP2SD" gives an automatic option to empty the CACHE every time you use it!!! Sure SAVED space (and aggravation! !) Best of luck!! GBu!:eek:

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

From the voice of experience:

If you're rooted & ROMmed you'll not want to go higher than a 16GB SDcard. I asked for (and got) a 32GB SD card for Christmas and it rocked in my Droid... until it was time to make a backup. ClockworkMod Recovery cannot read that much memory 2 out of 3 tries, so making a backup became a PAIN IN THE AZZ. I'm back to my 16 GB card now, saving the 32 GB card for my next device.

IF I ever get one :rolleyes:

10. Irishcarbombs

Irishcarbombs Member

Nice job gents, posting on a thread 8 months old....

11. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

The reason I posted is because the 32GB SD cards were not available when this thread first posted. I didn't reply to the OP nearly as much as I was warning CURRENT forum readers of the potential disadvantage of owning a 32GB card. If you're not rooted and ROMmed and have no way or inclination to make backups, then by all means: buy a 32GB card! But if backups are your lifeblood (like they are mine), then I would hesitate to recommend a card that size.

12. gwwjpd

gwwjpd Well-Known Member