Upgrading sd card

Last Updated:

1. morph4290

morph4290 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Was thinking about upgrading my stock 2gb card to a 16 or 32 soon. So I have a few questions.

1)Since my Dinc is rooted, will I have to copy anything to the new card after formatting it, or should my phone remain unaffected?

2) I know there is class 2, 4, and 6, with each having faster read/write speeds and being quite a bit more $$$. Will those speeds really make much difference when being used in my phone for backups, random files, apps, and music or videos?

3) Can I copy my sd card files to my phone's internal memory and transfer them that way? Or do I need to transfer them through my computer?

Any advice or answers would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. CREVZ21

CREVZ21 Well-Known Member

I did mine through my computer, put in my 2gb that came with the phone and copied files to pc then back to new 16gb card. I did everything that was on my 2gb. As far as classes. I bought a Class 2 16gb. Don't really notice a speed difference between that and my 2gb that came with.

3. Fatal

Fatal Active Member

I would transfer files to PC and then transfer them from the PC to the new 16GB or 32GB MicroSD card. Then mount it back into the phone. But you could do it either way but you will drain some battery moving content from SD to Main, then from Main to SD.

4. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

ok so your right about the classes the higher the class the faster it reads/ writes. but think of it this way. do you think you will be trying to read or write a file that is 1 gig all the time???? i dont think so. so you will not notice the different between the 3 except you wallet feeling a lot lighter. i have a 32 gig and i love it. i never run out of space and its great. as for transferring your data. i know clockwork stores a file on the sd card so you will have to move that one for sure. there might be others but i never really looked into it. make sure though once you get your card to format it to FAT32 before you start moving files on it or you will find out the card not working after all the hard work.

5. savoxis

savoxis Well-Known Member Developer

Anyone know if the dinc can handle class 10 cards?

6. morph4290

morph4290 Active Member This Topic's Starter

There are class 10 cards now? wow highest I recall seeing on ebay is class 6, and they aren't cheap...so I'm pretty sure a class 10 is well out of my price range.

7. My2k1rS

My2k1rS Member

I got a class 6 16gb card on ebay for $45 shipped. Its great: HD video seems to be less blurry when panning/scanning, and the camera images seem to collect cleaner (less distortion due to movement) I would have prefered a 32gb card, but by transfering my videos to my laptop and only keeping the ones I want to show off, 16gb is plenty for me.