Upgrading SD cardSupport

Last Updated:

1. cydewaze

cydewaze Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone. First post here, and new Droid owner.

I picked up my Droid 2 this past Saturday, and immediately ordered a 16GB Transcend Class 6 micro SD card for it. To install it, I plugged my Droid into my PC (Linux machine), un-hid all the hidden files, copied them to my desktop, then disconnected the Droid, took the stock card out, plugged the new card in, and copied the files back. After a reboot of the Droid, everything seemed OK.

The problems started while copying songs onto the Droid. The copy process froze, and ever since, the phone had problems with this card. It's sluggish, and hangs on shut-down.

Is there a proper way to upgrade to a new card that I don't know about? The guys at the Verizon store didn't have any ideas.

Advertisement
  2. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

Id try a bit by bit copy in command line perhaps

3. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you reformat the card and start again.
    Menu-> settings -> SD card-> unmount -> format

cydewaze likes this.
  4. cydewaze

Yeah, that's what I did.

Copying the files to the card on the Droid wasn't working, so I've copied everything to the card first, then plugged the card into the Droid and booted it up. I'll report back once I know how it worked.

5. cydewaze

OK! That seemed to work. The only problem now is I can't access the SD card from my computer when the phone is connected via USB. It shows up as a CD, not a drive. Weird.

6. cydewaze

Nope, it doesn't work. It boots fine, but I can't run any apps. I get various error messages, so the original card is going back in.

I have no idea why it's not working. I used the phone to format it and everything. It's strange. It shouldn't have anything to do with my Linux PC because the Droid is Linux.

7. cydewaze

Solved. Apparently the card I got (or maybe any class 6 card) is not Droid compatible. I switched to a Sandisk, and everything works now.

dhbuckley likes this.