Upgrading the G1General

Last Updated:

1. SmoothMarx

SmoothMarx Member This Topic's Starter

This is mainly a wishful thinking kinda thread but since I'm not a expert on these matters, I was wondering. Supposing the components are available for everyone, how hard would it be to upgrade the RAM and ROM on the phone? Upon replacing the components would Android recognize the boost?

Advertisement
  2. msimoens

msimoens Active Member

Being based on Linux, and using other builds for other phones with different specs, I should think that Android should be able to recognize any hardware changes.

Now good luck changing them. That's the hard point.

3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Considering that the memory is hard-soldered into the motherboard with all the main chips (memory, radio, etc) it unlikely that anyone with even good soldering skills and micro circuit techniques would even try to replace the existing memory chips (even if it another chip of larger capacity was available)

The most likely way if ever --- would be an entire swap of the motherboard assembly ...

4. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Not going for a "Well, duh!" reply here, but just in case the original poster or others do not realize it, the G1 has an upgradable flash memory MicroSDHC card. The factory card is 1 gb and I have upgraded mine to 8 gb. Some owners have reported success with 32 gb cards. The access door is on the left, lower side of the G1 near the green answer button. You simply copy all files/folders to your PC from the smaller flash card and then format (if needed) and copy them to the larger card.

5. msimoens

msimoens Active Member

I believe that wasn't what he was talking about 100% though

6. SmoothMarx

No, I was actually talking about upping the processor specs. I understand (not very well, though) that I can root the G1 and run my apps from the card, but that doesn't really speed up the phone itself, I think.
    Plain and Simple, getting the shell of the G1 and getting a "supercomputer" inside it. I love the outside (qwerty key, touchscreen, trackball, chin, etc) and I would like to (hypothetically speaking, of course) make it run with zero lag, even if it's running 10 apps at the same time.

7. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Ah, you want to be a tuner! :) Seems reasonable we will reach the point where enough people have smartphones that upgrades will be available. I'm fairly happy with the performance of my G1 but would love to see some of the slick games like we see running on the 3rd gen iPod Touch. Electronic Arts is rumored to be developing games for Android. When action games are ready, I suspect you will hear more owner complaints turn towards performance...

Android and the G1 are steps in the right direction. As attractive as the iPhone is I'm really put off by the sealed case without the ability to upgrade flash memory (and in some cases a battery that's not intended for owner replacement).

8. SmoothMarx

I'm more of a theoritical tuner, but thanks for the compliment :) I got good ideas for apps, I just don't know how to write them. Too bad for me. I could use those apps...

9. kingkurry

kingkurry New Member

It is possible, but it would not be very cost effective, and would require a lot of effort and expertise. To get a chip that would fit a G1's motherboard, you would probably have to take out the one in the MT3G(or possibly the HTC HERO) and solder that back into the G1. This would be pretty damn hard to do and expensive.

The ROM and RAM are combined onto one chip on the G1's motherboard, which means that if you put in a new chip, your system image, recovery image, and bootloader are all gone. So basically, even if you do manage to put in a new chip, you would essentially have a bricked device.

If you were really persistent, you could JTAG a new system image, recovery image, and bootloader onto the new chip, but a JTAG kit costs 40 bucks minimum.

It would be cheaper and less painful to just buy a new phone.