upgrading the microSD card???Tips

Last Updated:

1. mattyjc

mattyjc Member This Topic's Starter

I bought a 16gb Class 6 card to replace the 8gb card that came with the EVO.

I put some music/photos from my PC onto the new card and stuck it in the EVO. Everything seemed to go ok, but when I went to use the camera, it showed a black screen with what i think was a pic of an SD card for about a second then just closed the camera app and went to the home screen.

Was I supposed to copy anything from the old card to the new one or do anything else before I switched?

I just put the stock 8gb card back in the EVO for now until I figure out what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. KiLo11

KiLo11 Well-Known Member

try formatting the new 16gb sd card from the phones built in formatting
    just go to settings..sd card and storage and press and hold the unmount sd card for a few seconds then the option to format sd card will go from gray to white then just format remount and try again

3. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

Actually it may have been a problem unrelated to the new SD card. I had the same problem with the camera once. Every time I tried to enter camera mode it would go black for a second and then crash back to the homescreen. I have the sock SD card installed. A simple power down and back on fixed the problem. Put your new SD card back in and see if it happens again. It might be pure coincidence that you ran into the bug at the same time you were using the new SD card.

4. jediknight36

jediknight36 Well-Known Member

I bought a 32gb card and using my mac, copied the viewable contents of the card to my hard drive. Then, copied that to the new card. It took a while, but the pictures linked up. But none of the applications installed to the card linked, and none of the ringtones did either. How do I copy everything over so it loads like the old card did? I have not deleted anything off the old card yet.

5. jediknight36

Anyone? Buhler? Buhler?

6. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

If you have a multi card reader the easiest way is to pull 8g card and put it in the card reader. Then put the new card in the phone and hook it up to the computer and select disk drive. Now just open both drives on the computer and move (click and drag) everything from the old card to the new one.

If you don't have a card reader then leave the old card in the phone and mount it as a disk drive. Now create a folder on your desktop. Then open up the drive on your computer and move everything on the card to that folder. Now swap the sdcards and move everything from the folder to the new sdcard

7. jediknight36

Did that. When the phone boots back up, all the apps installed on it are gone. Did that twice and the 32gb card fried on me.

8. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I used the HTC Sync to do this, but you don't need to.

Copy the old card files into a folder onto your PC - use a usb card reader adapter if you have one. Swap cards. Copy the folder on your PC onto the new card. Reformat the new card before you do this though to make sure there's nothing on it. You can format/reformat the card via the usb card adapter if you want to go faster than using the phone.

9. jediknight36

Thats what I did (not using sync though) and my result was my apps and my download ringtones from one app were gone. I load my old card back and everything is back.

10. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Was your finger covering the camera?

11. jediknight36

Why would that matter?