Upgrading to Droid x... or trying to upgrade...General

Last Updated:

1. jtobin09

jtobin09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 14, 2010
    Ok I need some help here. Its my birthday on the 31st of this month and it finally gave me an excuse to upgrade to a Droid X from my awful Droid Eris:D. The only problem is that I cant upgrade until October which is such a drag. I was wondering if any of you guys or girls know any tips or tricks to convince Verizon to give me an early upgrade! haha. I was gonna try calling in and complaining about my Eris since this is my 2nd replacement I've heard they sometimes give out free upgrades.

2. wamsille

wamsille Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    You are asking for a customer accomodation. Customer accomodations are business decesions made by management personnel on a case by case basis derived from several criteria:

Account Status
    Time of Service
    Payment History
    Replacement History
    Remarks from previous calls

So lets say you've been with Verizon all of 2 and a half years, pay your bill sporadically and constantly call and complain about your service. You've already gotten a replacement device once before but you generally refuse to do any troubleshooting over the phone or take the device into a retail location.

You call in distraught over your Eris. You do *228 with them over the phone and read back some information from your device. You maybe pull the battery or fake pulling up a web page before you tell them it doesn't work. Meanwhile, the rep is reviewing your account. You mention it's your 2nd replacement device at that point and all that jazz but they aren't going to listen to you.

In a situation like that, yes, your request may be denied.

Verizon typically reviews cases after the third handset replacement. It's to your benefit to be a good, long standing customer that pays on time with no history of disconnects (voluntary or not) and that is otherwise courteous to Customer Service when you do call.

Also, don't aim for the moon. Verizon *might* offer you a Droid Incredible or a Droid 2 as a certified like-new replacement for your phone, but they may still present you with a new Eris or a certified like-new replacement. I would personally suggest if you had repeated problems with the Droid Eris not to go through another Eris with them and gently push for another device. Keep in mind, that device might be a the original Moto Droid and not the Droid 2.
  3. lessit

lessit Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    You can't wait until Oct? It's a month for Pete's sake! It's not worth trying to fanagle an upgrade. You may (but probably will not)get an early, upgrade but your account will have all interactions with them recorded. If you have an issue in the future that goodwill be used up and you will be less likely to get any future favors. Relax.
  4. smacky

smacky Banned

Jan 11, 2010
    You buy a phone now, you'll be behind several curves in two months time. Wait it out. There's a new chapter in the cell phone book due to unfold soon. Dual-core processors, LTE, etc. Wait until the holidays.

Head to the titty bar on the 31st instead.
  5. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    VZW let me upgrade from a Motorola Krave to my Eris early for $20 plus the cost of the phone. I had the Krave for just over 12 months and they let me do it. Try that, I would root the Eris before I used an upgrade. Save your upgrade long enough and they start to send you credits and really nice offers.

Good Luck
  6. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I went through 3 Eris', 2 refurbs. I called and complained, never have done so before, my only two other times calling CS was for the refurbs. This was a month ago. I told them I had enough, they offered me the moto droid1, droid2 wasn't out yet, and I told them why not replace HTC phone with HTC phone, so I got a brand new Incredible for FREE.

just be nice, be honest and do the damn thing, they will take care of you.
  7. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    If you're 1 month away from a "new every two" you have an option which is called an "early upgrade." The way it was explained to me is as follows:

You can waive the $50 credit towards a new phone and pay $50 to be eligible for the "new every two" price of the new phones. I remember years ago if you were within 3 months of your upgrade they'd let you get a new phone and use the $100 credit which is now an insulting $50.

If I were you I would wait. By the end of the year there are going to be some BAD ASS phones available. If you dislike your Eris now imagine how much you'll dislike your new D2, DX or DInc when you're stuck with it for another 22 months and all the new 1.5ghz phones roll out. Patience is a virtue