Upgrading to Jelly BeanSupport

1. sophiajeanne

sophiajeanne New Member

Hello everyone! I'm new here, so I apologise if I'm a bit of a n00b.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy 551 running GT-I5510T in Australia from Telstra about a year ago, where they told me it was running FroYo and I could easily upgrade. I want to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean (preferred) but I've heard it's not possible with this phone.

I tried installing Kies 2 on my Mac (which runs Lion) and it said that my phone wasn't supported.

Should I root the phone? (If so, how would I do this and how can I upgrade?)

Or is there somewhere I can download & install firmware from? I've found this: SamMobile Firmware Page (I hope the link works) but it's for Brazil - would it work? If needed, I can get access a Windows 7 computer but would rather do it from my computer. Please provide instructions/a link to some, as I'm not great at this sort of thing.

I also found this: http://www.tsar3000.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=334:how-to-update-firmware-of-samsung-galaxy551-i5510&catid=57:how-to&Itemid=104 but it looks rather dodgy.

Thankyou in advance! I'd really appreciate your help, as it's been a complete pain in the ass.

Advertisement
    :
  2. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Hmm
    I dont post here now but let me clear some stuff lest you brick your phone .
    Everything Samsung/Carriers says about upgrades are bunch of lies or lack of knowledge .

Asia and Australia have not been upgraded to GB as far as I know .

Check this thread to know about Firmwares

http://androidforums.com/551-all-things-root/480888-odin-stock-rom-tutorial.html

Sam Mobile is the only site I trust for Firmwares .
    the tsar site just mirrors the firmwares from sammobile .

The problem in GB update will be the bands your network use ..

It may be compatible with I5510T or i5510 ..who knows ...