• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upload straight from camera ???

Yep If you use picasa you can email your pics to your account. Also Picasa 3 is out of beta and is the pc side client and will allow you to upload pics from the phone or a camera, edit them (adjust light, color, darken shadows, sharpen) and upload to the web. You can set it to sync with your web account so any pics added or edited will auto update so what is on your pc is whats on the web. The geo tags show where the pic was taken if you turn it on. And it is owned by google so it will link to gmail and other google services. On your gmail page click on <photos> at the top of the page.
Also on your picasa home page click on <new features> at the top of the page scroll to the bottom and look for "picasa web for mobile devices", click on "use your mobile device", input your phone number and in about a minute you will get a text with a link in it, click on the link and it will take you to your picasa home page and you will see your albums and be able to browse your online photos on your G1, hit menu, add bookmark, done. Now you can upload via email and download via web and manage your pics in your account.

To email pics to the account look under <settings> at the top of the page and check the box "Allow me to upload photos by email" it lists the email address to send them to.

One last thought add a contact called Picasa with the email address from the above so when you take a picture hit menu, share, picasa, send, whamo pic uploaded. Side benefit, you have your pics backed up online, no app to take up memory, and you don't have to buy a bigger sd card to hold your pics. :D

Note: be careful to copy the email address exactly mine included a period that I did not see until I highlighted it. Also it took about 3 hours for the photos to show up on picasa after emailing them I don't know if that is just because it is the first one but it did show up.

Reactions: Sombre
Upvote 0
Good in depth reply there mate, thanks

I do indeed use Picassa for all my home photo storage, their filing software is excellent and it really helps me keep my many 1000's of images in a semblence of order.
But I'm not a user of their online album facility, I use Pbase for my online needs

I have just upgraded it to version 3 of Picassa, but not really had much chance to paly around with it yet

I wasn't aware that you could upload images via email, but I do know there is an app on the market that wil upload to your Picassa account, it's called Pictorial

I have yet to find a way of inseting links, from Picassa online images, into a forum post. For any types of forum linking I usually use Imageshack.
They do have an email facility, but you need to insert a user ID into the "subject" field, and its a right carry on as it is about 32 characters long :eek:

I notice that Imageshack has a built in upload facilty for the i-phone, so I will send them an email to see if they are going to develop it for the G1

Upvote 0
Oh I see what you need. I have used photobucket, but it seams I remember seeing a way to link on picasa as well and so I just clicked over there and had a look and yes the links are there. If you open an album on the right hand side there is a blue link that says link to this album, if you open a picture it now says link to thiis photo, when you click on it it displays the link and the html code so you can copy and paste. When you are looking at the albums (home) page to the right it says "now new sharing capabilities click here for more info", so it is something fairly new.
And since you already use picasa on the pc it would be fairly simple to do just open picasa 3 and click on the album you want to upload and either click uplaod at the botom or turn on sync it is a greyed out button just above the top of the album slightly to the right. Then when you open picasa 3 again it will auto sync. And yes Picasa 3 does a lot I have not played with everything myself. I was trying to do something the other day and saw the screensaver link at the top when I click on it it opened up desktop setting and installed a screen saver that rotates your pics. Could be risky ya know ;) so I shut that back off, but cool and just for fun I synced a video "Stacy's Mom" that Picasa 3 was displaying in my music folder and it synced with the web and plays so if you need to link to a video it works for that too. I see it also Geo tags on Google Earth but I haven't had time to play with that yet. Hope it helps l8r

Upvote 0
Well all appear to work

viewer

Took pic with G1 camera, attached it to email and uploaded via email to Picasa Web Albums

hmmmmm, not as straight forward as it first appears to upload the link when posting from the G1, I used
tags around it, but it doesnt appear

Upvote 0
I did not use the img tags I actually from the camera app hit menu share and selected the contact Picasa which I set up and sent the email from there but I will try attaching a pic to a email from the email app today. I tried save a photo from my picasa account back to my phone by long holding on it, the menu comes up and I select save photo but then when I go look for it it is not there, strange maybe it is just me, lol. I looked at your online albums at pbase great stuff. That is a crazy tripod you have jabtas.:)

Upvote 0
It is a bit mad is'nt it :D, excellent for those awkward shots tho

I think you may have misunderstodd my last post, I managed to upload the pic to my web album no problem at all.

The hard bit was posting the image here :eek:

If I browse my web album from the G1, I cant find the image properties of a single image, only the hyperlink properties from within the album itself
From the PC, I can just right click ont he individual image and insert it here

1229011423141.jpg

This problem is'nt helped by the fact that there is no ready made image insertion from the mobile version of the forum, thats why I manully used the

Upvote 0
Oh I understand now. I was playing with Picasa last night as I wanted to put an animated .gif as my avatar here. I found out Picasa does not support .gif format. So I went to photobucket cause I already have an account there and uploaded the image. (They added a theme based thing and all kinds of ads over there, looks horible now with all kinds of flashing buy this and sell that.) and to my amazement no matter how small I made it it was too big to fit the file size requirements here. Hence the static picture you see.
Have to say pbase is nice and clean. Did you choose the back ground of your album or is that the way pbase is. White backgrounds just look so sterile.

Upvote 0
I'm still struggling with this

Does anybody know a way to upload an image direct from the camera (either by an app or email), to a hosting site
THAT WILL ALLOW DIRCT INSERTION OF IMAGES WITHIN A FORUM POST

I can easily upload from my G1 to Picasaweb and Flickr, but neither can supply the image url from within the android browser (only a link back to the image, Imageshack will easily provide the code to insert the image into a post, but its a nightmare to upload from the G1

Anybody got any further ideas ???????????????????

Upvote 0
Hi guys my new app supports what you are asking for, but I never built it or the site for this purpose. I will allow the hot-linking...

I am however curious on how to help the cause even further. I could sms the link url direct to your phone or email it to you for insertion in your post.

Let me know what you guys think.

Neil

Upvote 0
I also love Pbase, it's the only photo site I use. Looks good in most browsers I've tried (currently Boat), slideshows start right up and run smoothly.

The only way I use to post images here is to share/post to Dropbox/public, and copy and past the photo url from there. I haven't tried uploading anything to Pbase from my phone, I usually do editing on the PC then upload from there. Sample Shootme shot through Dropbox:

Pbase.jpg

Upvote 0
I haven't tried the feature yet but Google+ allows auto uploading of photos and videos taken by your mobile camera to a private Google+ album.

Update: I just tested the feature and like jimdroid said it works very well! It's a great feature and allows you to keep retaking the shot until you're satisfied with it and you can press "OK" to save the shot and it will be automatically uploaded.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones