Upnp (mediatomb) and media renderer for Tattoo

1. ashren

ashren New Member

Hi,

I recently bought a HTC Tattoo. I want to use in combination with mediatomb (an upnp server) and to acheive this I installed andromote, which finds the served files immediately.

The problem is that andromote can not find a mediarenderer to play the files. Is there any way get this to work or does the HTC Tattoo lack mediarendering capabilities?

BR,
    Ashren

Advertisement
  2. Andromote does not play files from a media server. Instead, it turns your phone into a remote control (hence the name) which allows you to control playback on something else that can play files from a media server.

As of right now, August 27, 2010, the only app that can play from a media server on android is uMediaPlayer and based on the reviews, it does not work most of the time. Why there are no clients but umpteen million servers, I do not know.

As an alternative, you can use TVersity and then use the flash interface they made through your phone browser (Froyo+ only, requires flash support). This is much easier to do if you have a trackball phone, as using the flash interface with a touch screen is difficult at best. You can also try Orb, but for video it does a poor job compared to TVersity through browser.
  3. android-hacker

android-hacker New Member

Here are some other options for media server with Android player. I'm looking into them, so haven't decided which I like best.

Subsonic: Subsonic
  4. CapinWinky

CapinWinky New Member

People wouldn't use Bug Me Not if websites like this didn't make you register just to post one helpful post. I don't see why they BMN users are aggressively banned anyway, the above post was quality.

Anyway, 6 months plus on, not much has changed. Most of those media player remotes can also playback media by setting your phone to the renderer. Unfortunately, they all use the native player which means they will only playback media that uses a codec natively supported by Android. That means H.263, H.264, MP4, and V8 for video. That means your media server has to know to transcode video to one of those formats for your phone to play it.