• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

URGENT! Can't fix SU binaries via flash or flash TWRP?

So there's an issue I've been having and it's really been starting to bug me. I've got a half broken root which wont let me install, remove or do anything with root because of missing SuperSU binaries even after using almost all methods out there. I learnt of a way to do it by flashing the recovery with the SuperSU zip file which will fix root and install the latest version but there's a big issue, I can't flash the zip because recovery mode only gives me the option of doing it by SD which my phone doesn't have. It's only on internal storage. So I tried to flash TWRP like twice but the stock rom keeps replacing it and I have no way of getting around it. Is there anyone who can help with this?

Yeah I've checked XDA but getting replies there are a bit difficult so I'm trying as many support threads as I can, I think I rooted the normal way by installing SuperSU and using Odin and then I had to do an update which wouldn't work so I had to get rid of root and then I tried to get it back which never worked. Now I'm trying to re-root it for some things and now I'm getting the SU binaries issue and I can't flash it from the recovery mode because it's on SD only and my phone doesn't have SD capability only internal. TWRP keeps getting overwritten by the stock rom and I have no idea how to fix it.

Upvote 0
I flashed it with odin without the auto reboot and it's still on download mode, when I hold Power+VolumeUp+Home it wont do anything which is meant to be the combo to get into recovery, only the combo for going into Download mode works and gives me the option to reboot which I'll try now but I'm assuming it's only going to overwrite the twrp again

Upvote 0
Not sure why your device is being stubborn. It's normal for the stock recovery to overwrite TWRP on first reboot. The normal way to overcome this is to uncheck Auto Reboot in Odin then to boot into recovery mode with the button combo then flash the SuperSU update zip. Once that is done, TWRP sticks.
I have never tried but you might be able to use ADB command to reboot into recovery after you flash TWRP and still in download mode.
@scary alien, what do you think?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Holding the power button only while still on download mode does nothing, it doesn't do anything.

How long did you hold down the power button? Your phone should power itself off when you hold it down long enough. It may take several seconds.

When Odin shows you that 'Pass' flag, you want to initiate a manually induced shutdown. You need to force your phone to turn off, you don't want to allow your phone any time to run through its normal shut down procedure (timing is important) -- that cursed recovery-from-boot.p script will run, replacing the TWRP Recovery you just implemented with the original Recovery.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
As soon as I saw "Pass" in Odin I took the cable out of my phone and held the power button down for about a minute and it still didn't turn off.. I know about the ADB driver method but I've never used it and I don't understand how to do it. I've also heard that your device needs to be rooted for that but that's what I'm trying to do so I can flash TWRP and then the SuperSU to fix the Binaries issue.

Upvote 0
What is your exact model number. I'm thinking maybe using CF Auto Root to gain root access then Rasher Flasher or Flashify to install TWRP.
I dunno if trying to root it like that will work because I'm having the issue where the binaries are missing and SuperSU can't fix it or something like that. That's the reason why I'm trying to flash TWRP to my device so I can flash the SuperSU ZIP from internal storage because stock recovery doesn't allow it through internal, only SD.

Upvote 0
Hmm, if you're still in Odin (which I am woefully ignorant about), and not in "normal" Android or in custom recovery, I don't think they'll be an adb server running to communicate with via adb.

:(
Nah I'm not in recovery right now or Odin, I'm about to try flashing TWRP again and do what @svim told me to do again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones