Urgent Help: Need to Export & Hard Reset S4Support

1. New Member

New Member Active Member

My S4 had a purple blur that appeared on the screen that soon rapidly spread. Now none of the screen is visible at all.

I have a replacement arriving in the mail. I do believe USB Debugging is enabled on my original device.

I need to know how to export as much as I can; whether that's just through plugging the phone into the computer or whatever you guys recommend. Then I need to Hard Reset before I send the defective device back.

Anything you guys can recommend would be greatly appreciated. I do have Lookout Mobile Security on the device ... but don't know if I ever calibrated it to do a Hard Reset remotely through the Lookout website. Does anyone have any tips on that either?

Thanks, guys.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Without visibility, you're limited to what's available on the internal and external SD cards. It's near impossible to navigate menus blindly and I don't know if any remote viewing apps are zero-config setups from the Play Store.
    You can try to use Samsung Kies, but this software is so temperamental, it is sometimes not worth the headache. Install it and make sure to install the drivers when prompted. Exit Kies, connect the phone (fully booted) and wait for the PC to "install new hardware". If done and correctly detected, the phone will appear in your Devices list. Then launch Kies and it will often detect the phone without issue.

Judging from your frantic post, you also didn't set up any auto-backup/sync accounts, which as annoying as they may seem, are the best thing with current gen smartphones. Even Lookout needs the phone to set up photo, call log, and contact backups as well as remotely lock or wipe before the web can do anything more than locate. The same goes for Google's recently released Android Device Manager.
  3. New Member

New Member Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried several times to backup/sync to my Samsung account. Each time I received an error, which I've now read is a popular complaint. I will try the Kies solution and see what I can do.
  4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

5. New Member

New Member Active Member

I was actually able to backup using Samsung Kies -- all except for the SMS. Each time I try to back that up, it gets to 21% and then seems to freeze or not progress.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for SMS? I am assuming that if USB Debugging is enabled on my original device, they should be able to transfer those ot the new device at the store. Correct?
  6. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

If you're someone who has hundreds of texts, it may be choking Kies. I'd say leave it as long as you can to see if it eventually moves just to be sure it's more than it can handle. Or try a fresh connection. I don't know if there are any other USB methods of backing up SMS.