Urgent Help needed with 2.1 =(Support

Last Updated:

1. indychic

indychic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm new here.. so hello all!

I am in midst of a huge problem and I am seeking help asap. I am currently trying to reflash my phone with 2.1. I was hoping to do this than add recovery and a rom later however I am stuck on updating. I cannot for the life of me get my phone to download. I have been sitting here for 2 hours trying to figure out why I keep getting usb errors and then when I think I have it figured out I get stuck on downloading. It will not download. I did a oopsie and unplugged my phone earlier and now I can't even turn it on. HELP ME PLEASE! I hope my phone isn't beyond help!

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement
  2. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Did you unplug it while it was transfering data? Im assuming when you say you cant turn it on that includes download mode? Have you pulled the battery and then tried starting the phone?

3. indychic

Yes.. I did unplug it when it said download because download wasn't downloading.. it sat there. There is something definetly wrong with my USB not working on Win 7 64bit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the official 2.1 from sprint so many times and tried again. ???

4. dntesinfrno

Lets start with the phone, can u get into download mode?

5. indychic

If this helps... since I did unplug in the admist of the download (although it wasn't downloading .. it was stuck) now when I turn my phone on it goes to download screen automatically and says can't find .jpg or .png at the top.. which doesn't seem good. Please tell me I haven't messed my phone up in which it is not recoverable.

6. indychic

Ok yes and no... I did get it into download mode 2 times... it wont download it sits there... Right now I have deleted the Updater and all usb.. The thing is .. when I go to download those and install and restart it keeps giving me a USB failed error. Only those 2 times I was in download it didn't.

7. dntesinfrno

Ok thats a good sign, if your phone is getting to download mode you can still most likely save it. When you say 'it say usb error' is that showing up on the phone or generated by the swupgrade program?

8. indychic

As soon as I plug my phone in when it asks... it looks for the USB then I see it looking... and then it says USB FAILED.

Also, I have done this before so I am not a complete newb. =)

9. indychic

Sorry to answer your question .. it is saying that on the SWUpdate not the phone.. The phone still will show download mode.

10. dntesinfrno

Good to know :D. Ok, just want to make sure im getting this right....with the phone in download mode and swupgrade waiting for you to connect the usb the program pops up a usb error....right? Have you tried switching to a different usb port on the computer? Do you have a different usb micro cable you try as well?

11. indychic

I have tried 2 different ports. I have one cable. I just want to be clear.. If I turn my phone on.. it will not get out of download mode. Hence, I am without a phone until I can get this to work. I'm very frustrated so I hope I am making sense.

I need to redownload the SWUPdate and run it.. and try it again however I know once I get to the first step of taking battery out and in and then pluggin in the usb cord it will look for the usb drivers and act like it found them yet it will say usb failed. Ahhhh, all I wanted to do was reflash 2.1 to add recovery and root..(new at that part) and I can't even get past this simple easy part which I've done before. I hope my phone isn't fried.

12. dntesinfrno

Well i can tell you why the phone wont start. It started to flash and didnt finish, it wont go to the boot logo because it can't find the .png file. With the phone off and the usb plugged in does it show the charging screen? Another thing, when the the programs asks you to connect the usb cable does it show com* connected at the bottom? * being a number

13. indychic

No all my phone shows is downloading mode. THAT IS IT. Please tell me that I can recover this .. or if I Can't sprint can. I would think that if I can get the update to work it would fix this and be fine???

14. indychic

YES only charging screen when turned on

15. indychic

What can I do? Will gettin the USB working right and downloading again make it work right.

16. dntesinfrno

Im pretty sure if you can get the updater to run successfully you will be back in business. The only possible thing i can imagine is wrong with the phone is maybe the usb jack, but if it shows the charging screen then it should be ok. Do you have access to another computer to try it on?

17. indychic

COM.. Yes the last time I did it and gave up because it said.... downloading (waiting 6 secs... or something) on the bottom left it had a bunch of wierd symbols and the right said com5 connected

18. indychic

However .. I waited 10 mins with nothing working. so I disconnected. I have a laptop with WIN 7 64 bit. and a old XP laptop.

19. dntesinfrno

How long was it running before you pulled the plug? If it was showing com6 connected then it was communicating with the phone.....the weird symbols are ok, the update process usually takes about 2-3 minutes on my phone from the time i hit start download to when the phone reboots.

20. indychic

It was connected for about 8-10 mins with nothing ... I just redownloaded the SW update and I am going to reinstall and reboot and see what happens..

21. dntesinfrno

If that doesnt work, i would try the xp machine (make sure its not sp3) and see if you have any better luck with that. Also you can download usbdeview (View any installed/connected USB device on your system) and delete anything samsung or android (as well as from add/remove programs) just to make sure its not a driver conflict. Then reinstall the updater and try it again.

22. indychic

Ok here is exactly what I've done thus far.

1. reinstalled SWupdate from sprint
    2. Reboot win 7 64bit
    3. clicked on updater with admin privelage
    4. checked yes to agreement
    5. took battery out of phone
    6. when asked I plugged usb into pc and into phone
    7. waited... acted like usb was going to install and EPIC FAIL.

USB will not download correctly. When it did earlier .. I thought it didn't
    because of it wasn't moving in download area...

I will try the USBDEV .. I think I used that software for this prior to see if there were other things installed. I know there isn't.. but I will see.

23. indychic

... btw I said took battery.. I meant took it out and put it back in. =)

24. dntesinfrno

25. Dirtydogg

Dirtydogg New Member

I'm having the same problem and I just checked the USB driver and apparently it did not install properly. I can't even uninstall it??? I tried redownloadng but still nothing.
    I would make sure it's downloaded correcty.