• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Urgent help needed!

Now, I know I am not going to be taken lightly on this thread...But honestly I don't know where to turn (or where to look!) I have an ASUS Transformer TF101 that I decided to do an early JB update to. Found a custom ROM that looked really good so I decided to try it. Naturally, I updated my CWM as well, touch based. I went through ROM Manager and did a pre-installation thing where you may choose to backup your current ROM before wiping and installing blah, blah. I was simply AMAZED at how smooth and almost perfect the ROM was. So I try to restore back to my official stock rooted ICS ROM to backup all my apps and data to move to this Rom and.... IT JUST BOOTLOOPS EVERYTIME. And I had a lot of important stuff on it. DUMB! So now I don't know what to do and I am wondering if there is any way to pull data out of the backup...this is really important to me and only you guys are the best! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...:(

if you did make a back up u really have no reason to worry everything is saved on the sd card try to make sure u wipe the system, cache and davlic before you restore thats all i can tell ya but dude if u backed up dont worry urself like that if all else fails im pretty sure someone on here know how u can pull whatever is so important to u off the sd card from the backup files them self

Upvote 0
Now, I know I am not going to be taken lightly on this thread...ASUS Transformer TF101 .. I updated my CWM as well, touch based. I went through ROM Manager and did a pre-installation So I try to restore back to my official stock rooted ICS ROM to backup all my apps and data to move to this Rom and.... IT JUST BOOTLOOPS EVERYTIME. And I had a lot of important stuff on it. DUMB!

i never worked on a asus tablet b4 but i have done alot of work on other tablets especially on the HP touchpad(since it was abandoned and had no devs)couple of question i need answer and i might be able to help 1.you said you updated cwm right ..how did you update threw a zip file on cwm or threw ROM manager or how ???? 2.you said " I went through ROM Manager and did a pre-installation" you did it threw ROM manager the app right ????(i recommend never to use ROM Manager unless you know what you are doing even then DONT USE ROM MANAGER)3.how did you flash the JB Rom threw ROM manager or cwm ?how did you try to restore threw ROM Manager or CWM? if you did manage to create a successful backup before you bootloop then your fine it should be saved on your internal memory/SD card or where ever you put your CWM folder and yes you can get your stuff back but might be difficult reply with your answer so i can help you better

Upvote 0
[NOTICE] Don't use ROM Manager! **New to the Transformer? READ** - xda-developers

Although a great app for supported phones, ROM manager has been an outright disaster for the Transformer Tf101 for recovery in particular.
After seeing tens of threads involving issues with flashing using ROM manager, and no warning thread, I decided to post this.
If you're rooting for the first time, or upgrading recovery Do Not Use ROM Manager. It simply does not work properly for the Tf101. This may change in the future if the dev adds official support, but for now, please avoid like the plague.
Install recovery with this instead: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...very+installer
Gnufabio did a good job making a working recovery installer.
After you flash this, if you want to upgrade your CWM go to the development forum and flash the new CWM .zip using the version installed by recovery installer. Hope this saves some people some trouble, Thanks!

Gnufabio's recovery installer.apk it fantastic. I use a newer version of Rogue Recovery than in his installer though, but just because it is touch.

You may want to read through that thread, there may be some info to help you within it.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your help. I understand why the tread was moved :) but yes it was done through ROM manager (should have known better!) It then booted into CWM, which was also installed through RM. It went through the process of backing up, wiped everything including cache then installed the JB update worked like a dream. Go to restore, works fine. Go to boot, won't do it. Even left it try to boot for 4 hours while I was gone. Still nothing :/

Upvote 0
installed the JB update worked like a dream. Go to restore, works fine. Go to boot, won't do it.

can you still access CWM ???not familiar with asus is there a button combination to get into recovery mode try that
edit: "to get the transformer into recovery by holding the power and -vol rocker, then pressing the +vol rocker when prompted " i dont have an asus but try that see what happens if you can get to CWM (recovery mode) then you can go from there

are you tuck in a boot loop or are you stuck in a recovery loop where it throws you back to recovery afters flashing if you stuck on a boot loop and cant get into recovery mode by any means then your best option is going to be ADB are you familiar with it heres a link read up

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

Upvote 0
it may be that the version of cwm you made the back up in and the version you updated to and are trying to restore from are not compatible....have you looked at the md5 checksums.....and have you tried to move the backup to the pc and reinstall the jellybean rom you want and from there transfer the files to your tab from the pc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones