Urgent help required regarding XPersia X8Support

Last Updated:

1. gpta_varun

gpta_varun Member This Topic's Starter

I am planning to buy a Sony Eric xperia X8.

However I have few concerns.

1) I have read that Android 2.2 onwards allows user to select the location (phone memory vs card) for third party installation but Android 1.6 does not . Please guide me if I would be able to upgrade it to Android 2.2 at a later stage ? Can I expect some hassles ? Can I be sure that the update would be available for the same ? It currently comes with Android 1.6

2) Would the current RAM of 128M be sufficient ?

3) Is a X10 mini option better than this one ?

4) Any other phone within the same range , that can be better from HTC / Samsung etc.

5) For mobiles which have as high a resolution as 5MP , does storage consumption become a issue? Does this mean that I would have to shoot at 5MP at the cost of high storage consumption and hence limited record length ?

I would really appreciate if ppl here can guide me in these,

Thanks

Varun

Advertisement
  2. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

First of all ---

Any picture you take, any picture or file you download, they all go into the SD card. It absolutely does not matter how long the video you take or how big is your picture file---they all head into the SD card.

All music is stored in the SD card as well.

What goes into the phone memory, limited as they are, are apps.

Some apps cache into this memory, reducing it further.

Other apps do allow caching into SD. So they keep the program on the internal phone memory but the data cache is in SD. This is by setting or permission (if you install the app it says it will need access to the SD card). This is independent of your OS version.

Most Android apps are small. Few hundred kb to 3 or 4mb. The latter is already considered fat.

Regardless, the X8 or X10 Mini is rather limited. They're not exactly my cup of tea for an entry level Android phone.

My recommendation is either the Huawei Ideos or its variants like the T-Mobile Comet, or the LG Optimus One, or any carrier banded variation of, such as Optimus S, Optimus T, Optimus U, Vortex, and so on. Both these entry level Androids, cheap, and they pack Android 2.2 right out of the box.

While their processors are not exactly fast enough to run Flash (they will run as fast or faster than the latest Blackberry and Nokia smartphones still), you have the other benefit of Froyo --- mobile Wifi.

These phones with Froyo will let you save some programs into SD card. Note, some, since the ability to save an app into the SD must be allowed by the developer, and many Android apps simply don't. But there is a growing list of Android apps, like Google Earth, Angry Birds, Opera Mini and Mobile, Twidroyd, that will install on the SD card.

With Froyo, these low end Androids are expected to be faster than those using earlier versions.

gpta_varun likes this.
  3. kiz1983

kiz1983 Well-Known Member

Until now, se phones with android is only with 2. 1, latest... if u looking for 2. 2, the closest i can find with the price of range like x8, either huawei ideos or samsung g5 which will get froyo at the end of the year.....

For froyo, u dun nid any 3rd party Apps, its already by default can install to ur sd card...

Its eclair. That i now u nid app2sd to make ur sd card as an installation path...

For how to do it, thrs a guide in the internet

gpta_varun likes this.
  4. gpta_varun

Thanks so muchfor your replies..

Actually I am in india and the choices here are limited to SE , HTC and Motorola only :(

I am planning to buy a phone in the price ranges of X8,X10 Mini. However none come in versions greated than Android 1.6 . Can I at a later stage move to eclair/froyo myself without much Hassells ( and also without rooting ?)

"But there is a growing list of Android apps, like Google Earth, Angry Birds, Opera Mini and Mobile, Twidroyd, that will install on the SD card." --> does this apply to Android 1.6 as well ?

In the range of X8 , do I have better option from SE/Moto/HTC. ?

5. kiz1983

kiz1983 Well-Known Member

For se, iianm thrs none until now ppl who manage unlock the bootloader thus make a custom rom for it, so u cant upgrade it by urself for now..

If u wan, get htc as thr r many custom rom to choose, but i think thr is none similar price like x8..

I dunno much bout motorola...

6. coman_nick

coman_nick Well-Known Member

You could try HTC Wildfire. I don't know if it's country specific or not (I'm Romania). It's in the price and specs range of x10 mini.
    Also, seeing your interest in the camera, X8 only has 3.2MP, but it's HORRIBLE. The only reason I got the X8 is because it has the perfect display size for me (not to small, not to big, great resolution).
    And as the guy who's writing I don't really understand from above, I also don't know anything about Motorola.

7. gpta_varun

Thanks for the comments.

I am however more confused now with another option in my radar. --> The LG's Optimus One P500 :(

Varun

8. suhel28

suhel28 Well-Known Member

X8 is new... give it some time mate... 2. 1 is coming before January... meri bat man bhai lg ke chakar me mat pad lol... I don't have any problems with ram til now... give it a try I would say... its cute too lol:)