• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Urgent Help- S4 Fire Alert -My Samsung S4 Caught Fire!!!

Rookie89

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
Hello All

I am basically after some advice. My Samsung S4 caught fire today (unbelievable i know! am still in shock!!!). Burning itself as well as the surrounding area. The handset is still in contract. What would be the best way to tackle this ensuring I get a replacement handset and compensation for the damage it has caused. I am based in the uK

Some guidance and advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!

On a flippant note, take photos and show them to us.

On a less flippant note, this is clearly quite serious. I take it from the tone of your post that the damage wasn't significant and that no-one was hurt (at least I hope that is the case) but if you had been unlucky, you could easily have been injured.

I suggest you contact your carrier with the photos immediately but don't give the phone to them straight away. Unless they make a fairly generous offer of replacing the phone, paying for the damage and a bit extra for the hassle, I would hang onto the phone and go to see a solicitor. If you do go down this route, a strongly worded letter from your solicitor should encourage them to be more generous.

From Samsung's perspective, this is not good news. This should obviously never ever happen. There is a risk that they will be so nervous about the potential negative implications of any publicity that they may try to blame you for it saying e.g. that it was caused by a third party battery and isn't their fault.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Upvote 0
Yup I have taken some pictures and also putting together an email including all the details to the carrier. I will update this thread with their response

Thankfully no one was injured , but inhaled a lot of smoke from the fire. Customer service was a joke. got transferred somewhere abroad and they wanted me to switch it on, they could not grasp that the phone caught fire and it was no longer working! I am wondering whether i should email my carrier as well as Samsung? Genuine batter and charger was used. you can actually still see the feint Samsung logo on the battery so really no escape from that.

I will update this thread once i receive a reply

Upvote 0
I am wondering whether i should email my carrier as well as Samsung?
You should have emailed them first (although it doesn't matter which order you do it in). In English Law, your first recourse should always be to complain to whoever sold you something dangerous (or otherwise defective). You have no legal relationship with Samsung but you have a contract with your carrier and they will certainly be legally liable for this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones