• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Urgent: how to copy files from Windows to Android?

MisterLove

Sep 15, 2013
What's the best way to copy image files from Windows 7 to an Android tablet? Do I have to use Dropbox or a similar app or can I transfer them directly via USB to my tablet?

I once tried to connect an iPad to my PC using a USB connection but Windows didn't detect anything. Dropbox works fine, though.

I know this is a silly question but I'm still a beginner and I haven't had any time to read about Android and study this more carefully.

Thanks in advance, guys!

If you are running Windows 7 or 8 than all you should have to do is plug in the tablet to your computer and it should recognize the device as removable storage.

If you are running Windows XP you may need to install Windows Media Player 11 if your tablet is a MTP device.

What is the tablet, and what is your operating system?

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have no idea how helpful this is.

I just bought a USB cable and it works fine. I was able to copy the image files to my tablet. (I couldn't do that with my iPad, so I thought the same would happen with these tablets but fortunately it didn't)

I still have two more questions:

a) How do I copy the images to the tablet's main screen (desktop, homepage, I'm not sure what's the right name)? I copied them to a folder called Pics on the Android tablet but I can't find it anywhere.

b) Once I've copied that folder to the tablet's main screen, I would like my students to have access only to that folder with the images and nothing else. Do I have to download and install AppLock or any other similar app?

Again, forgive me for my ignorance but I've never used an Android tablet before and I'm so full of work I don't have the time to do any research.

Thank you so much, guys!

Upvote 0
Oops, I just found something called Gallery that contains the folder with the images and I was able to copy it to the main screen just by pressing the icon. Easier than I thought.

Is this the best way to do it?

I'm still not sure about question b) though.

Any other tips are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones