• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Urgent : Phone rebooting as soon as WiFi turned on

raj34

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
Hi all,
My non-rooted Nexus S has been running smooth on Samsung 4.1.1 update from last 2 months or so. While one of the apps was being updated and installed, I switched off Wifi on the phone. Since then, the app was under "installation progress" for a few hours. I thought of switching on WiFi and since then, the phone is auto-rebooting continually if WiFi remains on. If I quickly disable WiFi, it gets stable. I have also uninstalled the aforementioned app - don't see what else can I do :(
I think I should go for rooting and installing a custom ROM. Any help please ?

PS : I don't have a data-plan to test the behavior.

Thanks for the reply James. Since I cannot connect to WiFi, I wonder how I can I take my backup for messages/contacts/etc.
Also, I cannot install any backup agents on my phone without Wifi !

BTW, the app was a banking app from USAA. I am sure there wasn't any issue with that, I have seen it work for my friends on 4.1.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
My non-rooted Nexus S has been running smooth on Samsung 4.1.1 update from last 2 months or so. While one of the apps was being updated and installed, I switched off Wifi on the phone. Since then, the app was under "installation progress" for a few hours. I thought of switching on WiFi and since then, the phone is auto-rebooting continually if WiFi remains on. If I quickly disable WiFi, it gets stable. I have also uninstalled the aforementioned app - don't see what else can I do :(

Is this a Sprint Nexus S, or a GSM (T-Mobile/AT&T/International)?

Is it connected to a mobile plan? If so then I would recommend just using your data to download Titanium backup from the play store and use that. After that you should be able to transfer the backups to a computer no problem.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Hi there Raj ;)

I've moved your thread over to the Nexus S forums, and am sending you a PM to let you know about the move.

Normally I would only suggest this as a very last resort, but I would try factory resetting the phone. You basically cannot do anything online that you need to do without turning on the WiFi, and since you cannot do that yer kinda stuck.

If you can wait to see if someone has an idea for you to try that we haven't thought of yet, you might wanna do that before you factory reset. We have some pretty amazing people here that come up with the neatest ideas. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones