• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

urgent- Please suggest a tablet before black friday :)

Hello folks.

I am new here. I wanted to ask for an opinions and general consensus because there are so many tablets and choices are vast. When I look for a tablets to me they all look as good as the next one but I am sure they aren't equal :)
Here's the back story.
I have a very particular need for the tablet. It will be used as a navigation devise in my small airplane. The aviation GPS's are insanely overpriced so naturally my choice has fallen on to the tablet with appropriate aviation app. It must be an android. I would love it to run the latest OS because even though the main purpose of it is a navigational aid I will also use it for browsing web and watching movies when I am away from home.
I was aiming at 10.1 inch size but after I compared it to the leg(it's where it will be strapped to while I am strapped in :) ) I am thinking more of an 8 inch or so. I looked at the cheap off-brands chinese tablets on ebay but I somehow don't feel as they are that great.
So to summarize: 8 (or 10 ) inch diagonal, MUST HAVE bluetooth (connect to external gps receiver), must be of a decent brand and run 4.4 android os.

Thank you all for suggestions :)

Welcome to Android Forums. I moved this to the Device Carrier comparisons forum where we weight the pros & cons of differing devices.:)

My gut says that the aviation GPS equipment is expensive because it is vitally important that it work. Coming from that mindset, I would ignore cheapo chinese knockoff tablets so you have manufacturer support, reliability, and reasonable software updates.

Off the top of my head I can easily recommend the Nexus 7 (I have one each of the 2012 and the 2013 version) and probably the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The Tab line comes in all variety of sizes, and is available on many carriers. There are also a wide variety of cases, stands, and accessories for the devices as well as a lot of users to offer help if you have a problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion Unforgiven,

Could you recommend a particular model of the Samsung Tab so I can start watching for them during this black friday sales events? Same goes for the google nexus. Any particular models that support 4.4.x ?

Welcome to Android Forums. I moved this to the Device Carrier comparisons forum where we weight the pros & cons of differing devices.:)

My gut says that the aviation GPS equipment is expensive because it is vitally important that it work. Coming from that mindset, I would ignore cheapo chinese knockoff tablets so you have manufacturer support, reliability, and reasonable software updates.

Off the top of my head I can easily recommend the Nexus 7 (I have one each of the 2012 and the 2013 version) and probably the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The Tab line comes in all variety of sizes, and is available on many carriers. There are also a wide variety of cases, stands, and accessories for the devices as well as a lot of users to offer help if you have a problem.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Nexus 9, and the Nexus 7 (2013) would be good choices.

If you're going Samsung look at the Tab S, Tab Pro and Tab 4 series. Basically Tab 4 series are the lower end, Tab Pro middle, and Tab S the flagship of the tablet lines. All of these come with Android 4.4 out of the box. Update to Lollipop would depend on several factors though.

Upvote 0
chanchan05,
Thank you for the valuable suggestion. I will keep my eyes peeled for the black Friday deals. I definitely will go with well known brand such as Asus or Samsung. No chinese knock offs for me. Would love to get 8" samsung instead of 7" google nexus but it will ultimately depend on the price. Since I will be using it MOSTLY for the navigation the rest of the features don't really matter THAT much. As long as I get bluetooth feature.

Nexus 9, and the Nexus 7 (2013) would be good choices.

If you're going Samsung look at the Tab S, Tab Pro and Tab 4 series. Basically Tab 4 series are the lower end, Tab Pro middle, and Tab S the flagship of the tablet lines. All of these come with Android 4.4 out of the box. Update to Lollipop would depend on several factors though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones