• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[URGENT!!]Samsung galaxy beam boot loop I8520/ODIN stuck in setupconnection

hex9999

Feb 19, 2012
Hello everyone, I own a samsung galaxy beam, a rare android phone with a built in projector, yes a very rare phone. If you think being rare is cool well sometimes it's not, no support, no custom roms, no updates because this phone has a small user base and was only launch in singapore..

anyways, i rooted my phone several months ago, was fun OC the phone and other rooted apps, my phone was stable with a 1ghz OC for several months.. so a few days ago since i had nothing better to do, i had an app called vmheap, the heap size was set to 48mb if im not mistaken, so i tried lowering the settings to 24mb(android default) just to see if there was any improvement and the phone was less sluggish, i tested this for a few days.. so than i tried to lower it to 16mb and BOOM, my phone is into a boot loop, it restarts every time and Im not able to go to the vmheap app because it reboots and soon as i hit it, the notification bar, the home button, menu, the back button does not work. The recovery buttons does not work for this phone, i tried many key combinations and i only managed to get to the download mode... So I was not so worried, because I have some experience in flashing roms, ive updated my galaxy s2 rom twice with no errors..

So i decided to flash my rom with odin, i followed this guide here in youtube

youtube.c om/watch?v=nCpNh0adYpg

and use this rom

androidadvices.com/update-samsung-galaxy-beam-i8520-dxji1-21-firmware/

odin detects my phone and turns yellow, i click start and dam im stuck in setupconnection...

I tried so many ways,
start odin first, unplug battery, plug in battery while holding the download mode key combination, different cable, different pc, antivirus, firewall off, installed kies, uninstall kies, end task kies in system tray.. i tried every possible way for 50 times, and i never had this problem with my galaxy s2..

i even installed abd and i was wondering is it possible to mouth the sd card and obtain the build.prop while in download mode? i am unable to get it done because of the boot loop..

so please anyone give me some advice.. i bought this phone on a different country(singapore) and there is no service centre here where i live in malaysia that supports this model..

im just wondering how do i fix the odin problem when i get stuck in setupconnection..

is there any other flashing tools for android besides heimdall?

Huh, looks like it's been out for a while. Apparently in a different form (here's the one announced yesterday: Samsung unveils new Galaxy Beam smartphone / projector combo with dual core CPU -- Engadget
According to the Wiki page, there's no available firmware so you really may have screwed the pooch on this one.
Samsung Beam - XDA-Developers

Edit: and my reading skills failed again. There was a link to the original:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/samsung-galaxy-beam-worlds-first-android-projector-phone-on-sa/

Upvote 0
Hell yeah, my old beam failed, the hardware fail and now samsung is releasing a new beam.
Well FYI, i got this phone from singapore, it has a better camera 8 megapixel, better super amoled LED screen, better casing than the new galaxy beam, however, it has a shitty slow processor(720mhz), less battery life(1800mha),9 lumen projector(the new one has 15) and the worst, it's stuck with android 2.1.

So since this thread has gotten some attention, the main problem now is, i get stuck on setupconnection on odin, I tried everything but fail, the phone boots properly but I am unable to get to the vmheap and changing the heap size back to the default one because the phone will hang and reboot once i get there..
i notice the notification bar, the whole android system does not work properly, all the keys does not work, not even the volume, the back key, or home.. i read somewhere that it's possible to obtain the build.prop in download mode, but how do i do that with abd?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones