• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

URL rewrite rule?

clskier

Lurker
Feb 4, 2014
I'd like to find a way to limit my daughters Youtube viewing on her Nexus 7 to only curated channels we white list. Youtube for schools seems to do just this. I set up an admin account and am at step 2 which sets up a rewrite rule on our home network. I'd rather set the rule on her tablet, so no matter where she goes it will direct her to our curated list. Is there a way to do this on the Nexus (possible by modifying the host file)?

Note: She's six, she's not seeking out improper videos, but even an innocent search for "princess videos" can come up with anything.

i.e. youtube instructions state:
Option A: Add new HTTP header rule
Please modify your hardware filter or proxy server settings so that all outgoing traffic to youtube.com contains the following custom HTTP header. The ID to use in the HTTP header configuration, written below, is unique to your school's network only. If your school is blocked at the district level, this HTTP header is then unique to the district network.

X-YouTube-Edu-Filter:XYZxyz

Option B: Create URL parameter rewrite rule
If your firewall or filter does not support HTTP header modification, please rewrite all outgoing URLs to youtube.com by appending the parameter

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones