1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support [US Cellular] What is Firmware Update?

1. shortride

shortride Well-Known Member

I got a Firmware update - REQUIRED this morning. It said I need a Wi-Fi connection. I went to a place with a good Wi-Fi service but it would not update.

Whar is FIRMWARE? It did not indicate it was from my US Cellular provider so I don't know what to do.

Need help!

Advertisement
  2. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Well-Known Member

It is issued by Samsung, and it updates the software that controls the hardware, and the software installed by Samsung. Mostly it is beneficial, but occasionally it takes something out that you might want to keep. But 99% of the time, I'd say install it.

If you have a branded phone it will be issued by your provider, and usually comes later than if you have an unbranded one.
  3. tlbj6142

tlbj6142 Well-Known Member

This morning I received an update as well (TMo). After the update it is still 4.0.4, but it looks like the Kernel version has been updated as the date stamp is from 2-Aug.
  4. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

its a new update for your phone that changes firmware
  5. LS1BadBird

LS1BadBird Well-Known Member

I saw this first thing when I woke up. Still a little groggy, my first thought was, Yes! Jelly Bean update!
  6. clitrenta

clitrenta Well-Known Member

Interesting. I never seen this update but I now see I am at 4.0.4 and I know for a fact it was 4.0.3 just a little bit ago. I did read an article recently that said they were going to do a minor update before JB. Guess mine updated automatically when i was at home.
  7. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I changed the topic title to reflect the carrier the firmware was for. Please reply if not correct.
  8. shortride

shortride Well-Known Member

You are correct. My bad.

The Android verson on my phone is 4.0.4. Does that mean it has the latest update?
  9. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

The Build number is what will tell you if you have the latest update. Check with your carrier what the latest build is and compare it to what you have on your device.
  10. LS1BadBird

LS1BadBird Well-Known Member

Question for everyone who updated, did you loose root access if you were rooted? I finally got around to installing this last night (it recommended wi-fi which I don't always have) and after the download it booted into Clockwork recovery for some reason. CWM informed me that installing this untrusted .zip could cause me to loose root access. I stopped at that point but was curious if anyone else had this issue. Also, is there even any benefit to installing this?