US Galaxy S phones rooted!

Last Updated:

1. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member This Topic's Starter

U.S. Samsung Galaxy S variants rooted before release | Android Central

This is big!!!

Even though they aren't officially released yet, the US versions of the Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant and AT&T Captivate) have already been rooted. We should expect this by now, as it seems like it happens with all the hot new Android phones as they come around. Even better? This is a nice easy method -- no timing, monkeying with SD cards, no sacrificing chickens or doing rain-dances. Just load a file and boot into Samsung's recovery. Very nice to see a manufacturer playing nice with the hacking and development community in a time when some phones are coming locked so tight that if you slid a dollar under the battery door 3 quarters, 2 dimes and a nickle would come out. [xda-developers via Android and Me] Thanks thebizz for the tip!

Advertisement
  2. Droidable

Droidable Well-Known Member

Thats what i like to hear!

3. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

Was excited for the Droid X until news of locked bootloader. This will be my new phone. I just hope this phone gets tons of developer support a la the Droid.

P.S. Time for an 'All Things Root' section yet?

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  4. Steven58

I'll ask.

5. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

Lol, no rush! I am only half-serious....well maybe not, but I am excited!

6. F34R

F34R Active Member

I'm new to Android, but after reading a bunch on the subject, I'll be a happy camper once the Fascinate is rooted.

7. androidpirate

androidpirate Active Member

I've heard that even though the phone is rooted, a custom rom can't be installed because the phone requires a samsung rom. is that true? what does rooting offer?

8. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Well the X was rooted a week after being out. You cant load custom roms but supposedly the dev' are already working around the locked bootloader

9. Stroupified

Stroupified Well-Known Member

i've been thinking. from the videos i've seen there are only 3 hardware buttons, the power and two volume rocker buttons, on the fascinate. how would you go about using a custom recovery like clockwork mod since it requires a trackball or trackpad to scroll through the menus and select. volume switches can scroll in clockworkmod but the trackpad is what you use to select, and the power button is the back button, and in RA i believe it uses the trackpad to scroll and the volume down is back. (i've only used RA for like 5 min a couple months ago so please correct me if im wrong)
    to me it seems like you would need at least 4 hardware buttons for a custom recovery to work properly unless the devs have started using the soft touch keys for their controls.

EDIT: i guess they could just do a button combination as the 4th key so nevermind

10. Steven58

That's encouraging. I have root on X and LOVE it! :) First root ever. :D

11. doug piston

doug piston Well-Known Member

They have been working around the boot-loader on the milestone for quite some time also. I wouldn't hold my breath.

12. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

rooting lets you remove the bloatware that verizon sticks on the phone(blockbuster, my vzw, stuff like that)

13. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

The droid doesnt have a trackball/pad and you can do all of that on it

14. substring

substring Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance. Can someone please explain what does it mean by "rooted"?

I am waiting to buy an Android phone and I am trying to educate myself as much as I can before I get the phone.

Thanks!

15. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Rooted means you can remove programs that were installed to your phone(bing, blockbuster, etc) You can also load custom roms and download the updates such as 2.2 before waiting for carrier to release them. Once a leaked version is out and working for your phone you can install it

16. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

In its original form, root just means super user privilege in linux. if you are "root" you are free to do anything.

Catalyst2012 likes this.