US Galaxy S3 vs International Galaxy S3General

1. averymlewis

averymlewis Well-Known Member

I have been trying to figure this out for the longest. The International version has a Exynos quadcore processor with 1gb of ram whereas the US version has a Dual Core Snapdragon processor with 2gb of ram. Which version would likely be the better version. Should the quad core with 1gb of ram out perform a dual core with 2gb of ram? Is it likely that the US version would be a little laggy considering its only running on a dual core or does the 2gb make up for its speed?

Advertisement
  2. jetx2x

jetx2x Well-Known Member Developer

There won't be any noticeable difference in performance... if you compare the GSII to the GSIII you will notice that the GSIII out performs its little brother by only a small margin... in everyday situations it won't be any noticeable difference... both variations will be speedy regardless and there aren't all that many apps that fully take advantage of dual core so quad core isn't all that necessary as of yet

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  3. averymlewis

Ok well what difference does the 2gb of ram make?
  4. jetx2x

You would be able to do more multi tasking without a drop in performance... but I think that 1gb of ram is more than enough

5. averymlewis

Now does that mean however that the international version will open apps faster? While the US version can have more running at a time?
  6. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

The S3 runs substantially hotter than the S4, I also tend to think that the 2GB of ram will do considerbly more than some might think. When i check to see how much of my 1GB of ram is available on my Razr Maxx it usually only has 200-300 MB free. When playing app intensive games it's even less. So i can def see a benefit to having the extra1GB.
  7. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

Do you think the iPhone 4 is laggy? I'm talking about the 4, not the 4s. It only has a dual core with 512mb of ram. It really makes a difference when a manufacturer has control over the hardware and the OS, to ensure they play well with each other. IMO, this is why Samsung is the Apple of the Android world and why they are becoming the #1 brand.

And 2gb of RAM is really iciing on the cake. I pay very close attention to ram on my tablets and phone and will close programs, even on my ipad2, to ensure fast performance. Both Android and iOS claim to monitor and control ram as needed, but I prefer to control things manually.
  8. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Well, iPhone4 has just single core A4 processor, not even dual core. 4S has dual core A5 processor. But I get your point on the fluidity of iPhone.

I tried to point out several times on GSIII forum here that dual core S4 Krait is incredible beast of processor compared to any dual core AP from last year. It's built on small 28nm process and based on A15 like architecture. So it's actually running very close to quad Exynos in many benchmarks. But I keep seeing this questioned almost every week, lol. We are so obsessed with quad >> dual hype.

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S III Performance Preview: It's Fast
  9. averymlewis

Okay so into regards to what I'm trying to find out is at the end of the day which version will be superior the (The International version running a quad core with 1 gb of ram or the US version running a dual core with 2gb of ram?)
  10. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

That's subjective question because it will depend on what you are after. I don't think there is hands down winner between two for everything.

For example, games will benefit from more powerful GPU in quad Exynos. Then again, 2Gb ram will also be handy for heavy games. So it's really hard to tell though Exynos still might have edge. Honestly I don't think you can go too wrong with either one.
  11. Geese1

Geese1 Well-Known Member

I saw a preview video on Youtube where the presenter said that the extra gig of RAM was put in, in part, to make up for the lower spec'd GPU in the North American version. Don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds reasonable.
  12. ben7337

ben7337 Well-Known Member

Except Korea is getting one with both the quad core and 2GB of ram. Though they are samsung's home country, it still weakens any excuse that the 2GB in the US version is just making up for the cpu.

Besides the S4 Krait CPU is actually better at a lot of things than the Quad Core Exynos 4212, it's just the GPU of the quad core that really wins out.

Samsung Galaxy S III gets a quad-core version with 2GB of RAM, only for Korea
  13. jetx2x

I say that they will be neck and neck... they both will be extremely fast unless you are a benchmark junky that scrutinizes each score... regardless of which one you get in real world situations you won't notice any difference... your question is like asking "which is faster... the speed of light or the speed of light?"

14. aligmc

aligmc New Member

You wont notice any diffrence between them its only a matter of market and competition with other companies
  15. Badelhas

Badelhas Member

Yeah, I dont get it. Why can we all have a quad-core + 2Gb Ram + LTE?
    Did you ever find some review and benchmarks regarding the Korean version?
  16. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

1) because the a9 architecture doesn't support LTE fully

2) because some countries (most) don't have LTE

3) RAM helps to access frequently used files faster by keeping them in memory. Benchmarks do not use frequently used files to score tests so RAM will not influence the benchmark*

*really low free memory may make the os slow in general but this shouldn't happen on android.

We don't need more ram. It wont make the device faster. If anyone needs help understanding what ram is, there's a great link in my signature
  17. jaydee77ca

jaydee77ca Well-Known Member

Actually, the article in your signature says the exact opposite: we do need more ram. It even explains why.

18. Badelhas

Badelhas Member

But the Korean SHV-E210K/L/S[ version has Quad-Core AND LTE (see: [OFFICIAL] Korean Galaxy S III (SHW-M440S/SHV-E210S/K/L) Thread - xda-developers and Samsung Galaxy S III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    How do you explain that they have it and the rest of the world dosent?
    In my country, Portugal, the coverage is very good: HSPA+ 42Mbit/s and LTE 100Mbits (I live is the 3rd biggest city and LTE Speed Tests gives me results between 60 and 80Mbit/s which is way better than any USA result I
  19. jaydee77ca

jaydee77ca Well-Known Member

20. SUroot

You're reading it wrong. The sentence starts "nowadays" meaning now we have upto 300% more RAM than a few years ago and THAT makes a huge difference.

In this context the article is right. A LOW memory system will not be able to keep frequently used files in memory, which means it cannot open everything to its full potential. Not everything is in memory ergo, not everything can be opened fast. In this case, more memory would be and advantage.

You've heard the adage "Unused RAM is wasted RAM"? Well, it's true. Empty RAM serves no purpose. If its not caching a file there for quick access, it's not doing anything to improve the speed of opening files.

So, the SGS3 has plenty of RAM. It fits the most frequently used files in memory easily. If we give it more RAM we're allowing that RAM (which will fill up until its almost full) to become useless. There are not enough frequently used files to full it, so the frequency of use of the files it caches becomes so low that caching them becomes pointless. So now we're caching files we don't need or barely use. How is that beneficial to the speedy operation of the device?
  21. GoldenDiamond

GoldenDiamond Well-Known Member

okay, I had this problem for the longest time. this mentality of "which one is better?"

at the end of the day, the specs, although different, won't make a difference in daily use. I live in NA but bought the International version straight up. Why?

Firstly, I don't need LTE. Internet speeds on my phone is not important.
    Secondly, my service provider didn't have the S3 so I would have had to switch and pay a lot more monthly.
    Thirdly, since I can't connect to LTE, it saves battery life. Not by a lot but an extra few hours always helps when your out and about or studying late at school.

I have played around with the NA version and can not tell the difference in speed at all.
    So really, it's up to you.
  22. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Depends on your use. I notice that game emulators and 3D games in general are smoother on the GS3 dual than the TF300 (quad 1GB). Not apples to apples though for the GS3 quad, but played enough to notice the difference for the S4 dual and the Tegra 3 quad. Also compared with Toshiba Excite and A510, the GS3 dual performs better.

In fact, I wish my TF300 had the chipset from my VZW GS3 dual core.

I think we can spin all day and win 50/50 in regards to comparing the dual and quad GS3 devices.
  23. SUroot

Nope, as you say not apples for apples, so all comparisons with other devices are pointless. Even comparisons between different S3's are pointless.
  24. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Hence the 50/50.
  25. SUroot

Yes indeed.