• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

US models, poor battery, audio and slow

ironass

Extreme Android User
Aug 17, 2010
Cotswolds, England
This article shows the Exynos as having a 10-30% better battery life and describes the Snapdraon 820 as, "Relatively poor battery performance", It also notes the poor audio and video slo-mo for the U.S. models which we have seen complaints about on this and other forums.

Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge: Snapdragon 820 vs Exynos 8890

Also, the overclocked quad core Snapdragon is noticeably slower than Samsung's own octa core Exynos as this video demonstrates...

There is a big difference in battery life between the Global model with Exynos 8890 chip and the U.S./Chinese model with Snapdragon 820, as these GSMArena comparisons on the S7 Edge demonstrate.

GLOBAL EXYNOS 8890

U.S./CHINESE SNAPDRAGON 820

Discuss!

Last edited:
Certainly looks as though Samsung's octa core Exynos 8890 in the Global S7's, spanks the bottom of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chip that is in the Chinese and U.S. S7 models when it comes to performance and battery life as this article shows...

Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge review

Prior to launch, there were those that were not getting the Snapdragon models that were bemoaning that fact. I wonder if that's still the case? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
GSMArena's battery life tests give the Exynos Global model a clear lead over the U.S. Snapdragon model.

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge battery life (Exynos and Snapdragon)

Not a sympathizer for the SD820 model, but, I'm good with the battery life & performance.
More than enough battery to get through the day.

With that said, of course I'd take the Exynos' endurance & performance every time in this scenario,who wouldn't. My only envy is the locked bootloader on the SD820 equipped models.

I'll definitely be taking a wait & see approach with the Note6 & may even Jump out of this S7 EDGE as soon as tomorrow, looks like someone @ XDA has got their SD 820 powered T-Mobile LG G5 & has unlocked the bootloader with simple ADB commands.......

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Galaxy S7: Exynos vs Snapdragon performance and battery life comparison

"Conclusion
With one draw and two outright victories, the Eynos 8890 seems to be the better choice when it comes to choosing a chipset for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The results weren’t marginal either, suggesting that Samsung spent a lot more time optimising the Exynos variant than the Snapdragon model — or perhaps the Exynos chipset is simply superior. Either way, American and Chinese consumers might be wise to import a European model… as long as they’re planning to use their phones on a GSM network in their home countries."

The reason that the U.S.A. and China have the quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chip and not Samsung's octa core Exynos 8890 chip is because they both have the minority CDMA networks instead of the worldwide GSM. So blame China Telecom, Verizon and Sprint.

Upvote 0
looks like someone @ XDA has got their SD 820 powered T-Mobile LG G5 & has unlocked the bootloader with simple ADB commands.......

I think that they might find that the S7's double locked bootloader is going to be a lot tougher nut to crack. However, rumour has it that T-Mobile (USA) may bow to customer pressure from their disgruntled users and unlock their bootloaders. If so, hopefully, other U.S. carriers may follow suit. Don't hold your breath for AT&T or Verizon though. ;)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I knew the Exynos would be faster than the SD820, though I didn't think by this margin, but I also believe that Adreno 530 is noticeably better tham Mali T-880MP12, hence the difference in antutu score...

I, too, did not think that the difference would be as great as it is. In fact, prior to the release of the phones, posters in the U.S. were congratulating themselves on having the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chip as bench tests on it appeared to show it was superior. Just goes to show that benchmark tests on the chips don't always equate to real life usage in the phones.

Reactions: Khayman999
Upvote 0
Either way, American and Chinese consumers might be wise to import a European model… as long as they’re planning to use their phones on a GSM network in their home countries."

I think this is such an irresponsible statement. Does anyone here actually think the differences in these benchmarks are so life changing that you would forgo the warranty on such an expensive device? By all means, import it if you wish - but I've read enough posts over the years from people who then end up complaining about how to do this and that in the US on their imported phone to make me think that it's rarely worth it unless you just want to have bragging rights to something that the majority of people likely wouldn't notice.

From day one of each new Samsung phone rollout there are these benchmarks that just serve a purpose to divide people into a sword fight over who has the better version. It was bad enough to have benchmarks between different phones, but now we need to benchmark different CPUs in the phone. When the first benchmarks came out that seemed to show the SD820 to be "better" - it really didn't phase me nor did I care. Now reading this, it still doesn't phase me. These results with the battery are not so dramatic that it is going to make me change how I use my phone. The results with the processing isn't going to make me think twice about the apps I run. I am willing to bet that that is shared by a lot.

But that is my opinion. Some people drill this down to a science and have to absolutely get the "best" performing version of the phone, regardless of its impact on what they do, and I respect that. especially with the money we pay. However, I do think that there is way too much focus on it, though.

Upvote 0
I had to watch that video a few times and cross reference it with other tests before I could believe that the U.S/Chinese Qualcomm models are 33% slower than the Exynos, Global, models as well as the reduced battery life.

Since the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 chip is already overclocked, hence the heat pipe, it only remains to see if Samsung can optimise the S7 firmware in any way to compensate for the sluggishness and battery usage.

In a nutshell, the U.S. and Chinese are being penalised for their minority CDMA networks. See paragraph #2 of post #8, above.

This is in no way gloating or trolling on my part but rather an attempt to countermand the posts from those U.S. users on carrier bloated firmware and on Qualcomm chips, who will post how slow and battery hungary the Galaxy S7/Edge models are when in fact 194 of the 196 countries of the world will not experience this.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Taking a 30% hit on real world performance, while also taking a 10-30% hit on battery life is just a bad scenario all around. I am hoping that they manage to improve the firmware on the US models in the not too far off future, especially from a battery life perspective. I have been very pleased with the responsiveness of my phone, which isn't to say that I would not mind an even snappier experience, just that the speed is good enough and given the choice, I would take an extra 10-30% battery life any day. I have not been very impressed with the battery life on the S7 Snapdragon, coming from the S5. Seems like it drops way too fast.

Upvote 0
I can only go by real world performance. And by that my Verizon S7 lasts all day on battery and performance is perfect without lag. The problem with every 'lag' video is that performance is dependent on the carrier the phone is connected to, distance to cell tower, interference from other sources, wifi connection, etc. One video is not definitive and as any engineer will tell you, one test means nothing without testing across all possibilities. This S7 is better than my S5 in all categories except how they chamfered the screen edges which makes finding screen protectors problematic.

Upvote 0
So presumably the Qualcomm version S7 "lag" videos are coming from China or the US, i.e. those who have good ol' CDMA networks. And from what I've seen China Telecom branded Samsungs are quite bloated with stuff. In fact the only CDMA capable phone they sell that isn't bloated with their stuff is the iPhone. And I've always been with CMCC or Unicom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These 2 videos demonstrate the battery life and usage for the Korean manufacturer's own Samsung octa core, Exynos 8890 chip that is installed on all their Global and Canadian S7 and S7 Edge models and already labelled by some as, "The Beast from the East".

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Battery Life Test Comparison Review! (Exynos 8890)

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge battery life (Exynos and Snapdragon)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones