• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Usable sms app?

Jorem

Lurker
Aug 12, 2011
Hi,

In all the previous (regular) mobile phones I've had, the main interface for texte messages has shown options looking something like this:

Write new
Received
Sent
Drafts

But regardless where I search and how I try, I can't find the same (or similar) way to list messages in my android whether I use the default app or e.g. Handcent SMS.

All I can get is a list of "recent activities", i.e. a mix of all lists in a chronological order.

I don't mind that per se, but I also like to be able to easily list only received messages separately. Or sent. Or drafts.

Of course, it might not be the apps, but rather me that's so thick I can't figure out how to do this.. :p

So, the qustions are:

1. How can I achieve this with my present sms apps?
2. If I can't, which app can do this?

PS: I've got a HTC Desire Z with Android 2.3.3

Cheers!

Pansi SMS and Go SMS Pro are two SMS apps which will give you this functionality. All you have to do is swipe on the main conversations screen of these apps to get the old school Inbox/Outbox/Drafts view.

I prefer Go SMS Pro.
Heh...funny.

I searched and found Pansi an hour ago, installed and tested, ditched Handcent SMS, now went here to mark my question as solved and saw your reply. Kind of a pleasant confirmation!

Thanks a bunch.

I am soo pleased, finally. (and frankly, it's beyond me that this option isn't in all sms apps....)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Heh...funny.

I searched and found Pansi an hour ago, installed and tested, ditched Handcent SMS, now went here to mark my question as solved and saw your reply. Kind of a pleasant confirmation!

Thanks a bunch.

I am soo pleased, finally. (and frankly, it's beyond me that this option isn't in all sms apps....)

Cheers!

You're welcome :)

I'm guessing most people don't like the folder view anymore and are comfortable with the conversations view. As long as we have apps which give us both options, it's all good.

Also, do try Go SMS Pro. Having used both, I can say that Go SMS Pro is definitely superior than Pansi SMS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones