usage warning from metro

1. meatfix

meatfix New Member

received this text last night (while tethered using pda-net level 2 encryption)
    my plan is $55 unlimited.

"your data use this month places you in the top 5 percent of users. use wi-fi to help avoid reduced speeds."

who said t-mobile?

Advertisement
  2. bwg2469

bwg2469 Well-Known Member

What is top 5%? 15gb+ ?
  3. twogbsd

twogbsd Well-Known Member

I would imagine like, 30GB is top 5%....
  4. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

From discussions in the MetroPCS forum, it seems that 60GB is the high end for the "unlimited" plan. The vast majority of users will never come close to using that much data, it's only going to happen if you do a ton of streaming and/or use the phone as your main internet connection which really isn't its intended purpose.
    Metro is not alone in doing this, all the carriers have similar practices in place.
  5. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

Average for customers is from .90GB-1.4GB
    I use about 20GB though
  6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

I moved this to the Metro PCS forum as it is more of a carrier related discussion. Also, lets attack the issue, not each other.

Thanks.:)
    twogbsd and BRAINZ2013 like this.
  7. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

That isn't true cause if you was using to much data from tethering you would be dropped from metro . The reason u have slower speads is workers fixing on the network due to the merger of tmobile and metro . If you don't believe the work check it out . Voicemail,updateing and even customer service .
  8. Gman9831

Merger has nothing to do with anything metro is doing. They announced a merger but that merger hasnt been approved yet so the merger has not started yet and will not start until late April.
    Sepero likes this.
  9. Gman9831

They dont drop people for tethering they just throttle you
    Sepero likes this.
  10. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

once throttles switch to 3g.... today i speed test my 3g and i was at 700 kbps which is still pretty good for surfing the web.
  11. Gman9831

12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

OK, enough already. The OP purchased an unlimited plan. There is a part of the TOS that deals with throttling bandwidth as some point. Let's keep the discussion on that topic.

Thanks.
    cubone and Gman9831 like this.
  13. Joshb101

Joshb101 Well-Known Member

I'd just like to know how much meat was using before receiving this message and see where the general line is drawn or if its because he was tethering.
  14. 05TRAILBLAZER

05TRAILBLAZER Well-Known Member

yea its aroound 60+ Gb when the starts throttling u. what applications do you use?? check your data usage on settings. it;ll tell you what he is using. i use about 50+GB just on yutube vids
  15. pcgamer

pcgamer Well-Known Member

Regular 3g speeds can get there, but throttled 4g leaves you way lower than that
  16. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Wow my 4g speeds are only like 1mb maybe 1.2...I would hate to see my speeds if the were tethered! No 3g here ether :(
  17. Ubercharrge

Ubercharrge Well-Known Member

my 3g is rocking right now :p
    keep on getting constant 2 mb on 3G, even faster than my 4g. xD
  18. bittersweet60

bittersweet60 New Member

Recently, I received a different type of warning text message from MetroPCS...a warning about offnet violations. I went to an area store & was informed that when Metro cell owners are out of their home service area, which is the state where phone was purchased, for greater than 3 months; immediate cancellation of service may occur. Thus, Metro is not for the consumer who may be away from their home state for longer than 3 months. This policy applies to texting & data services as well.

Now, when shopping for cell phone service, I will never assume free long distance is equivalent to free roaming capabilities, which Metro terms TravelTalk. I signed with Metro due to their affordable rates, without inquiring specifically about their out-of-state 'Roaming' policy. This has been an unpleasant lesson for a newbie cell phone user, but I did learn from it. As the old cliche says, 'If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is'. Conclusion: MetroPCS is not a true nationwide cell phone carrier.

http://cellphones.about.com/od/roamingpoliciesbycarrier/qt/metropcsroaming.htm
  19. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

...netflix?
  20. Joshuah22a

Joshuah22a Well-Known Member

I never got warned but i also never really pass 25gb.. but im below 15gb on average..ive been hitting high 25s this month cause of mlb.tv streaming
  21. Gman9831

On tmobile unlimited you get throttled after 9765GB according to what shows up on some peoples data usage monitor in their tmobile account settings.
  22. Gman9831

Found a screenshot [​IMG]<-- Tmobile Unlimited Plan
    Sepero likes this.
  23. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

do all of us with "unlimited" data have something like this?

Edit: o i see t-mobile lol sorry :(
  24. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

1TB of 4G data per month,

yeah i think i'd be okay with that.
  25. Gman9831

Isnt that 10TB?