• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB 3.0 issues

Ummm, guess I have the luck of the Irish, my USB 3.0 cord has never, ever, timed out on me while copying all of the pictures from my phone to my PC.

I'm using Win7 Home Premium WTIW.
and the 3.0 USB cord is not even connected directly to the PC, it is in port #4 of a 4 to 1 USB hub.

Sometimes, it is connected direct to the PC, but most of the time it is not.

Upvote 0
? I have left it for a lot longer than that, I leave the phone plugged in to charge it, and have gone back an hour later and Windows File Manager picks up where it was, lets me change folders, and copy stuff from the Screenshots..... I do Pictures first, go off and take a bike ride, come back and then do screen shots. I have yet to have my USB3.0 drop out and refuse to work.

mine is a Samsung Galaxy S5 if that makes any difference.

i use two folders at the same time, I keep one folder open on the phone, and the 2nd folder I use to choose the target directory on the PC....

Upvote 0
Must be nice. :) Personally I despise all forms of USB, always have, and always will. It is the most problematic technology in today's devices and PCs. The technology is a typical example of a 'zebra'. (A horse, designed by a committee). And device manufacturers deviate from its specs just as badly as they did on the original old serial ports - failiing to provide proper current and voltage levels, etc. I just read that many of the new USB-C cables being made by various vendors are shorting out, catching on fire, and damaging the devices into which they are plugged. A pity, considering they finally used a tiny amount of brain power and made the connectors reversible. Time to shoot the antiquated USB in the head and come up with something that is truly reliable for once. If that is even possible.

Upvote 0
I sense your frustration, and have fought the devil trying to get a printer installed many years ago.

But, the device/technology is so deeply embedded into the electronics culture, it will never go away.
Oh, one day, maybe, it will become less important it might fade out just like the LPT ports did for printers. Remember those from DOS days? dir > prt

:)

Upvote 0
I too am having the same issue as Zoandroid.

I connect my Galaxy S5 running Lollipop to my Windows 7 PC usb 3.0 port, with a Samsung usb 3.0 cable.
My pc recognizes the Galaxy and connects.
Then I tap on "usb options" on my Galaxy which is available to me in notification's after connecting to my pc via the usb cable, and i select the usb 3.0 option which is one of three options that is made available.
My pc then recognizes the galaxy again and drops the usb 2.0 connection and reconnects with the usb 3.0 connection.

At this point everything is fine and I begin to make backups of my media and/or do transfers to and from the pc.

Now here is where the issue arises... If I stop making file transfers or backups over the connection from the pc to the galaxy, and it goes unused for "5 minutes", the connection "automatically" switches back to usb 2.0.
And I get a pop up on my galaxy that notifies me of this change in connection.

Then I have to go through the process again of switching the connection back to usb 3.0 if I want to again use the faster 3.0 connection.

This would not be a big deal however I am continually doing other things on my pc as my galaxy is connected, and multitask in between doing file transfers and backups with the galaxy. So it will go unused for 5 minutes or more during the time I am working at the computer.

I would like to have the option to have the galaxy and pc stay connected in usb 3.0 mode for as long as " I" determine. Or at least have the option to select longer times than "5 minutes" before it automatically switches back to usb 2.0.

If this option does exists, I do not know about it.
Does anyone else know if this is possible?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-27-12-15-31-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-27-12-15-31-1.png
    111 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
Hi Threadx2003,

I still deal with this on a weekly basis. The only logic I can put behind their reason for designing it this way is possibly because they chose to force you into Airplane Mode when a USB3 connection is active. My guess is that the S5 is not robust enough to handle the heavy load of that kind of data throughput USB3 offers AND also handle all the wireless data streams concurrently. Interestingly, my wife chose an S6 recently, and it doesn't even HAVE USB3. They took a giant step backward in technology to USB2 again. So that suggests to me that the S5 probably was having too much trouble implementing 3, and they decided to abandon the idea rather than address it with the necessary hardware upgrades.

Just my opinion.

I won't be buying another Samsung product. I need something that can easily be rooted and then later upgraded with newer rooted OS versions. Samsung/Verizon has effectively stopped rooting. I have a Samsung tablet, with similar difficulties in rooting and upgrading. I won't leave Verizon, as they have the only decent signal here. So the only solution is to get sone other brand next time, that can still be rooted and run on Verizon's CDMA network. Until then, I am stuck here on my S5 running rooted 4.1.1, which has already proven not to be compatible with some newer apps. But I will not give up a rooted OS. It is essential to how I use these devices and am able to fully restore all apps and settings on one in minutes when it suddenly goes sideways, or an SD card gets Alzheimers. Nandroids and Titanium style Backups should be BUILT IN to all Android hardware by default, IMO.

The one thing I do to help, since I have triple monitors, is to keep the file copy process window being displayed during USB3 file copy operations visible on top of everything on one of my displays, so I can keep an eye on it and know when I need to act before USB3 gets auto-downgraded. I would imagine if anyone ever did write a utility to give us control over that time limit it would be found on XDA. But I haven't seen one yet.

Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0
First, in full 3.0 mode, the phone goes into airplane mode, with all RF shut off. I won't guess about the reason why; perhaps its conserving processor resources.

After about 3 or so minutes of no data transfer, it reverts back to USB 2.0 mode, and the RF functions return.

I know this is an old thread but I've recently got one of these and decided to look for any way (root or otherwise) of forcing USB 3.0 constantly while plugged in and came across this thread.

The above is absolutely not true. All telephony functions still work as normal while using USB 3.0, they are not disconnected or put into airplane mode at all. The USB 3.0 connection may interfere with reception though, hence why they have a 10 minute cutoff time with no data being transferred (not 3 as stated above). The phone states this clearly when you enable USB 3.0.

For the record, I have not experienced any connection drops while using 3.0 myself, though admittedly I have not made any calls whilst doing so. I frequently use the phone as a hotspot whilst plugged in with it though and the Internet connections stays consistently solid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones