• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB bricked cant fix...Tried everything please help

caramac79

Jul 6, 2010
HTC Desire Orange UK
HBoot - 0.91.0001
Radio -5.10.05.30
Android Version 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.15-g29e526b
Software 2.17.61.3

While attempting to root my phone i did something wrong and now i have a USB brick i think :S

Could not get unrevoked3 to work so tried a factory reset before trying again and everything went wrong with my phone. I could get no signal at all and it was not allowing me to connect to any network (orange or orange t-mobile) just said network not available with this sim

Could not connect to phone through usb when in android just shows up as qualcomm device and no SD card registered even though it was plugged in.

Looked around forums and spend HOURS trying to get phone working and now phone is working to a point but not fully, cant make a call without going into hand free mode.

CAN

Can connect phone in FBoot mode and it it recognised in Device Manger as Android 1.0 device .

Load android and view SD card in ASTRO

CAN'T

• Connect to PC in android does not register, have unistalled HTC sync and reinstalled it but still no luck just shows as qualcomm. Does not show up so even though can enter usb debugging mode on phone it does not register with PC.
  • Make calls as when the screen blanks (next to ear) signal shuts off (tried all sorts of apps to keep screen on during calls but still happens)
Tried

• making goldcard but don't know how to judge if it have been a success because nothing else seems to work
  • Loading update.zip by going into recovery
  • PB99IMG.zip
PLEASE HELP

well i tried it and it would start to load and then just stop and i'd get an error message, this was about 4am when i was trying every possible fix/soulution known to man :(

i've tried it again put the PB99IMG.zip file on memory card and it does not even recognise it just loads as normal when i boot into hboot.

really stuck :(

Upvote 0
With a Orange handset you'll need a goldcard. Unfortunately the only way to tell whether that has worked is if it lets you run an RUU/PB99IMG.

What is the name of the PB99IMG file on your sd? It must be just PB99IMG.zip, nothing more, so rename it if the name is different. It will be case-sensitive too (everything is in Linux).

If you can get it to the point of giving the error message again, tell us what it is - that may give someone a clue.

Upvote 0
I've named the file PB99IMG.zip so should i try with the PB99img.zip?

I had it working before, will it only run if there is a goldcard or will it only work successfully if there is a goldcard?

I have tried running RUU from windows (when i was trying everything i could find) but tht didnt work as can't get into usb debugging mode.

can anyone point me towards a working version of the PB99IMG.zip file so I can use that as the one i have i was told to rename it from a long filename to that.

thanks for help so far will try with the PB99IMG.zip when I get home from work.

Upvote 0
There's a PB99IMG.zip in the dropbox thread, linked from our sigs. You will have to rename it, and "PB99IMG.zip" is the correct case - renaming should not be a problem, and they tend to come with long names so that you can tell what they contain.

Since my phone was never branded I've not got direct experience of how a PB99IMG fails if the goldcard is not present. But the bootloader will refuse to run it, rather than it running unsuccessfully, at least as I'd define those terms.

Edit: This is a bit late now, since I can't think of any other way of getting your phone back, but you do know that there's no way of returning an Orange UK handset to its original software? That's a particular feature of Orange phones - no RUU for Orange software has leaked.

Upvote 0
pb99img.zip doesnt fix misc apparently. ive seen too many people ruu/pb99img their devices and it still doesnt work.

the only way to fix it is by doing the usb brick fix
things are a little easier as you can root the phone with visionary+
please check this thread

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...rning-do-not-use-rom-manager.html#post2843048

the 1st link the guy fixed it without root (using temp root via visionary)
you will need to do the fastboot command to enable the sdcard
you will need to get an mtd0 img from the second link

it will work

Upvote 0
Wont pushing the Alpharev down grader SPL be an easier fix? Its supposed to negate the need for a gold card and allows you to do a regular RUU.

It worked for me when I bricked USB bricked the other day.

well he cant s-off atm as im not going to get him to use alpharev-x as its in beta
hes not got root as unrevoked failed and borked it (not aware unrevoked causes usb brick but none the less for this user it seems it has)

Upvote 0
I dont think unrevoked USB briked it i think it was a combination of things really coz the unrevoked went quite far before failing and failed at different points after a few tries... was the factory reset that really killed it.

Have already done the fastboot command and have access to SD card when in android because i have navigated using Astro. So i have acess to SD card or will i have to fastboot again?

Will try visionary+ though

is this the fix you were mentioned?

after 24hrs of restless search(androidforum/xda) for solution i finally got it :DDDDDD
this 2 thread help me alot to understand what i need to do
Code:
[Q] Any chance of fixing USB Brick w/o root ? - Page 2 - xda-developers

here is the steps i did

after i unlocked my sd card via fastboot command sd card recognized by phone and i can browse it via file explorer.

then i put the visionary+(it gave me temporary root access which is needed to work this whole thing out).
root explorer,terminal emulator apk and those usb bricked update file(image_flash,mtd0.img) to sdcard from pc via card reader and installed them.

before put those update file on sd card i edited the mtd0.img to put correct cid n rom info via hex editor.

after that i put those update file in phone memory
/data/data/ and set permission for r/w and execute with the help of root explorer as i got root permission :D

after that i simply put this command in terminal emulator
"su
/data/data/flash_image misc /data/data/mtd0.img"

Rebooted my phone and voila usb brick is gone htc sync,usb tethering,sd card mount,charge everything is working :D

Note-you don't need the rageagainstthecage file which only need if you try to get root access via terminal emulator which is lengthy n complicated but with visionary+ you can get root access with 1 click and it's much easier than typing command in T.E..

hope this information helps other who got stucked like me :)

Upvote 0
Got my CID using 'CID Getter' from the marketplace

Got mtd0.img file and added my CID to it using 'Desire mt0d Creator' from Desire mtd0.img creator

My CID was ORANG001 & rOM vERSION: 2.6.32.15. (kernel version)
(TRIED 2.17.61.3 which is my Software number)

Found Visionary+ and Root Explorer and have the apk to install using Astro

Just this bit I'm not sure about and want to be 100% before I start is :

after that i put those update file in phone memory
/data/data/ and set permission for r/w and execute with the help of root explorer as i got root permission

is this the correct way:

The update files image_flash &mtd0.img both go in the /data/data folder and image_flash is set to r/w and mtd0.img set to exe?

thanks again for all the help so far....almost there (i hope)

Upvote 0
Just want to know if i was right in what i asked

is this the correct way:

The update files image_flash &mtd0.img both go in the /data/data folder and image_flash is set to r/w and mtd0.img set to exe?

if that is the right way to do it and id those are the correct settings to apply to each file.

Still not attempted yet want to make sure I have it all correct before I start :D

Upvote 0
Ok sounds good just one last thing before i hopefully sort my phone out

Got mtd0.img file and added my CID to it using 'Desire mt0d Creator' from Desire mtd0.img creator

My CID was ORANG001 & rOM vERSION: 2.6.32.15. (kernel version)
(TRIED 2.17.61.3 which is my Software number)

Does the mt0d.img look ok? worried becuase when i tried the software number i had an error coz it should be 10 characters long but using the kernal version worked (only coz of the . after the last number)

Thanks

Upvote 0
If the orange software version is indeed correct, it is a digit shorter than all others.

So we would need to PB99IMG.zip it to Unbranded with a gold card. But is that going to be possible in this current state?

i think the sw info in the mtd0 creator is a bit of a redherring tbh as if you open it with a hexeditor it doesnt really need anything other than the cid which is replaced at the top line

all brick fix guides just tell you to get the mtd0 from an unbranded device and use a hex editor to change the cid

so theoretically it shouldnt be a problem

EDIT:
it appears this version does add the sw info to the file
If that mtd0.img doesnt work you can try this one as i have modified it to show your correct version

Attachments

• mtd0.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones