• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Bricked - Help!!!

birdc

Lurker
Nov 2, 2011
Hi Guys,

I managed to brick USB on my HTC desire, when preparing the phone to flash a new ROM (i.e. reseting phone to factory defaults etc), the phone had been previously flashed the phone with a custom ROM and was S-OFF etc. But this time I under fathom want went wrong.

I have managed to flash back to RUU stock ROM, but I still cannot mount SDCard on PC. So my phone is completely unrooted now and S-ON. The radio is doggy as well now it cuts out when I receive or make a call on intial connection.

Have tried the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploit to Root the phone, but after executing the bin and killing the terminal emulator app, it did does not allow me to re-open terminal emulator again to flash the ./flash_image misc mtd0.img.
Even if I reboot and try the process again it still get stuck at the same stage.

I have also tried the visionary+ rooting process, but never get past stage1, where the icon disapears as the app refeshes and it never comes back the screen just stays blank. Again have tried to reboot and follow the process but comes to the same outcome.

Am really stuck on how to unbrick the USB.

My issue is almost identical to thread http://androidforums.com/desire-all...ed-cant-fix-tried-everything-please-help.html

but the solutions seem to have not worked in my case.

Help would be really great!!

As previously stated I am unable to complete the root process via visionary+ or rageagainstthecage exploit.

When trying to temporary root with visionary+ it starts the rooting process but then the app just goes blank and does nothing until I exit it. I tried rebooting and repeating the process but same result. Please also note that usb debugging is on.

With rageagainstthecage exploit when I execute the binary it completes with number of processes forked. When I close terminal emulator it crashes so then I force it to close. When I try to open terminal emulator again it refuses to open.

Any one come across same issues and managed to get round it, as once I've got root I can then flash the misc image to fix the usb brick.

Upvote 0
As previously stated I am unable to complete the root process via visionary+ or rageagainstthecage exploit.

When trying to temporary root with visionary+ it starts the rooting process but then the app just goes blank and does nothing until I exit it. I tried rebooting and repeating the process but same result. Please also note that usb debugging is on.

With rageagainstthecage exploit when I execute the binary it completes with number of processes forked. When I close terminal emulator it crashes so then I force it to close. When I try to open terminal emulator again it refuses to open.

Any one come across same issues and managed to get round it, as once I've got root I can then flash the misc image to fix the usb brick.
did you enable the sdcard using fastboot 1st?

Upvote 0
Do you mean via fastboot command?

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

If so then yes I have executed this command and I can browse SDcard through my file explorer without issue.

But both rageagainstthecage and visionary+ fail to route the phone as described earlier.

Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
The RUU that I have got is the following which is supposed to be for orange phones:

Android Version: 2.3.3
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.10-g3f43272
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build number: 3.14.405.1 CL96875 release-keys
Software Number: 3.14.405.1

What I am thinking the other day is that 2.3.3 is rather a new version and maybe those exploits have been patched, maybe I need to put an RUU on that is 2.1 as that what I believe the phone came with initially.

What do you think?

Upvote 0
The RUU that I have got is the following which is supposed to be for orange phones:

Android Version: 2.3.3
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.10-g3f43272
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build number: 3.14.405.1 CL96875 release-keys
Software Number: 3.14.405.1

What I am thinking the other day is that 2.3.3 is rather a new version and maybe those exploits have been patched, maybe I need to put an RUU on that is 2.1 as that what I believe the phone came with initially.

What do you think?

ahh 2.3.3 stock
i think the only way for you to do this is to use revolutionary.io to s-off the device. then boot to fastboot and use fastboot to flash the misc with the fixed mtd0.img
Code:
fastboot flash misc mtd0.img
you can then either choose to flash a custom recovery and flash a rooted rom or flash the downgrader hboot and flash the RUU once the misc is repaired to return it back to stock with a fixed usb

by any chance did you use rommanager?

Reactions: birdc
Upvote 0
As the usb is bricked, will revolutionary actually work as adb command do not work as the phone is never picked up by the pc?

fastboot does however work when I load hboot.

No I did not use ROM manager.

I think Revolutionary should still work.
i thought it was only the mass storage part of the usb that doesnt work with usb brick

does windows see anything in device manager like "unknown device"

if it does you might be able to assign the adb drivers.
Ive personally never used revolutionary so i dont know if you can just do it booted to fasboot or bootloader.
the alternative would be to return it to htc if its still within the 2year warranty period as the 2.3.3 htc dev rom is supported

you cannot flash an older rom over this one the bootloader will reject it

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

I have tried revolutionary, I get as far as running the exe and it sits there saying 'waiting for device' , even if I go into fastboot on the bootloader. The phone is picked up by HTC driver when in bootloader, and I can run fastboot commands from cli, but adb just says no device found. Pc and phone do not pick up its been plugged into usb. I have to power down the phone and plug it in then power it on to get it to charge.

As you have said when trying to down grade the OS it refuses due to the one I want to flash being older. Plus as 2.3.3 is relatively new the exploits like visionary+ and rageagasinstthecage do not work, even gingerbreak does not work.

So currently I've hit a brick wall as I can't down grade os or root.

It so frustrating.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

I have tried revolutionary, I get as far as running the exe and it sits there saying 'waiting for device' , even if I go into fastboot on the bootloader. The phone is picked up by HTC driver when in bootloader, and I can run fastboot commands from cli, but adb just says no device found. Pc and phone do not pick up its been plugged into usb. I have to power down the phone and plug it in then power it on to get it to charge.

As you have said when trying to down grade the OS it refuses due to the one I want to flash being older. Plus as 2.3.3 is relatively new the exploits like visionary+ and rageagasinstthecage do not work, even gingerbreak does not work.

So currently I've hit a brick wall as I can't down grade os or root.

It so frustrating.

youll have to warranty replace it. as you have an legit rom on there you are covered

Upvote 0
Thanks for you response.

I tried GingerBreak again but running the binary rather than the APK, but it just spits out permission denied, have googled around but have been unable to find an answer to this.

GingerBreak2/000075000076400001440000000000011554014010012676: not found
uid=10061(app_61) gid=10061(app_61) groups=1015(sdcard_rw),3003(inet)
================: permission denied
Brings: permission denied
since: permission denied
Andriod: permission denied
----------------------------: permission denied
As: permission denied
/data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/GingerBreak: 14: Syntax error: newline unexpected

But then came across this article:
[App] [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Saying AGAIN, THIS DOES NOT WORK ON S-ON DEVICES !

So I guess that you maybe right and sending back to HTC is the only way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones